Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your most efficient trip to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to get 174MPGe (1.2L/100km) one day, basically hit all the green lights, smooth cruising at 80kph (which is the speed limit)

IMG_20140515_071107_resize_resize.jpg

My most efficient round trip to work (13.6 miles each way) was around 245 wh/m. In warm weather, it's not hard for me to get 280 or less. In the depths of winter my energy use was frequently well over 500 wh/m and I am fairly conservative about using the heater. Toward the end of the winter, after reading a few threads on this forum, I became convinced that part of the reason my energy use was so high was because I was not using range mode. In cold weather and when not in range mode, the car spends a lot of energy keeping the battery warm. In range mode, it spends much less energy on this. I've read that the reason the car spends so much energy heating the battery is so that once the battery gets warm you can use regenerative braking but I haven't seen any analysis of the tradeoff between the energy gained from being able to use regenerative breaking vs the energy spent heating the battery. I suspect that when it's really cold, you spend much more energy heating than you can typically recover by braking. It would be interesting to see an analysis of this.

Hey AC1K, I'm at 199 Wh/km lifetime average as well! :) Still ways to go to reach your commute numbers, though...

Still, I've only had the car for a week, so without the numerous test drives I've given my averages will probably still come down.

TeslaTrip750.jpg