Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Belts Locking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the forums and couldn't find evidence of this being covered before.

Since delivery (about 6 months ago) my rear seat passengers occasionally have the rear belt lock on them. The only solution to unlock it is to disconnect and reconnect the belt.

This is not the typical behavior where you pull it too far and it starts to ratchet. The passengers are just sitting still and the belt will lock. Sometimes the car is not even moving when it locks.

I had service look at this twice now and they say it is working as intended. This means to me that they were not able to reproduce the problem as the behavior is anything but normal.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions for why it might be happening or what I can do about it?

I had some friends in the backseat last night and all of them had the seat belts lock on them. They disconnected and reconnected and the rear belts would still lock. The front belts have never had this issue. I am planning to speak to service about this today.

I took my car to the service center yesterday for the 3rd time and they couldn't reproduce it. My wife has the same complaint, so we are going back so she can help reproduce it for them. I don't know what the issue is with the seat belts in the rear. The center manager did say that when the seat belts lock, it doesn't operate like other belts where 2 - 3 click backwards causes it to release rather you have to unbuckle the seat belt for it to release.
I've searched the forums and couldn't find evidence of this being covered before.

Since delivery (about 6 months ago) my rear seat passengers occasionally have the rear belt lock on them. The only solution to unlock it is to disconnect and reconnect the belt.

This is not the typical behavior where you pull it too far and it starts to ratchet. The passengers are just sitting still and the belt will lock. Sometimes the car is not even moving when it locks.

I had service look at this twice now and they say it is working as intended. This means to me that they were not able to reproduce the problem as the behavior is anything but normal.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions for why it might be happening or what I can do about it?

Yep. My wife refuses to sit in the back seat. (When my 86 year old mother is with us, she finds it easier to get in/out of the front). I had Tesla look into it, and I think they did something, but I'm pretty sure the problem is still there. FWIW, I had the same experience yesterday riding in the back of a co-worker's Lincoln.

There were some issues with early VINs (mine was one of them) but Tesla replaced the rear belts and never a problem since. I think it has been mentioned once or twice but was never a big enough issue to show up as it's own thread.

If you have this issue talk to your service center again, even if they can't reproduce it immediately they should tackle the problem.

I kind of just thought my passengers were crazy. I tried to reproduce this when I was sitting back there but couldn't. They described essentially the exact same thing as all of you. It would lock, then they'd follow the usual process of freeing up some space to click the belt backwards a few notches, only to end up with a belt that had a death grip on them. The solution was the same, unfasten the belt and redo it.

Ziggy seems to indicate this is the intended design. If so, that doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

If you have this issue talk to your service center again, even if they can't reproduce it immediately they should tackle the problem.

I think they did something. The first time I went in, they said they had to order parts which I believe were installed the next time I was back. The problem is that 99.9% of the time I'm driving alone. Weeks or months later, my wife was back there again and complaining of the same thing.

In my last service, Tesla stated that it was behaving normal when of course it wasn't. I then received one of those service surveys so I filled it out stating that the problem had not been fixed. I received an email today from Tesla that they want to take my car on the week of June 9th for an extended review of this problem.

I'll let everyone know what they find and if it can be fixed.

CWave - I missed your thread and just posted about the same problem today.

My Model S has seat belts for skin(nier) drivers (and no tow hook).

Question - can those who are having similar problems check on the length of play in the seat belts before they hit the limit? I found that there is a substantial difference between what I measured for mine and those of a later production Model S (delivered June 2014). Could it be that Tesla has replaced the OEM seat belt assembly?

Although it seemed more acute in practise, I was only able to reliably reproduce this binding problem when I pulled the belts almost to the end of their length. The extra 6 to 8 inches in length that the newer belts have should drastically reduce the problem if my theory is correct.