Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery self swap :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what happens if one were to try and swap a battery on his own? Will the car simply accept the new battery or does the car need to be connected to a Tesla service computer? I am in a position of being able to do that, but I don't want to mess up the car.

Does anyone know what happens if one were to try and swap a battery on his own? Will the car simply accept the new battery or does the car need to be connected to a Tesla service computer? I am in a position of being able to do that, but I don't want to mess up the car.
Are you talking about the 12V battery, or the "big battery"?

12V battery - why bother, when service will do it for free (this is coming from a car guy with his own lift at home).
HV battery - you're nuts. Do you have any idea of the dangers of 400VDC at a few hundred amps? This will not end well. You'll screw it up (since no one outside of Tesla knows how to do it right) and they'll charge you a ton to clean up your mistakes. That's assuming you don't kill yourself in the process.

No, you will not void the warranty unless you mess it up. That's the law.

While true, keep in mind there are other ways to enforce these kinds of things. Whenever I read someone quoting Magnuson-Moss, I cringe for two reasons -- the first is that threatening legal action is rarely the best course to take unless it is your last course to take, and the second is that Magnuson-Moss doesn't address everything that could be used to enforce an objective. Tesla may not be able to deny you warranty coverage for the vehicle, but it could potentially deny you other services. For example, Tesla could force you to live without Internet connectivity (mobile app, web browser, Internet radio), if the remote network services are contingent upon certain actions taken by you.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've learned enough about business law to know that there are multiple ways to skin a cat and it's difficult to cover them all. I've also learned enough about business law to know to ask a lawyer. :)

Of course, over time, these provisions would be tested, new laws would be drafted, etc. In its initial years here, Tesla is aiming for a fully vertically integrated environment and will transition over time as things open up.

I've already got this in my plans. I have the whole thing worked out. According to what I was told, if you swap a 85 for a 60, it will see the battery but not drive. It would need the software to be changed. I've already been watching the auto auctions for what I need. Waiting for that right smashed car to come along with a intact battery :)

I've already got this in my plans. I have the whole thing worked out. According to what I was told, if you swap a 85 for a 60, it will see the battery but not drive. It would need the software to be changed. I've already been watching the auto auctions for what I need. Waiting for that right smashed car to come along with a intact battery :)

there was an 85kWh battery pack on ebay not that long ago

Tesla Model s 85 85KWH Main Lithium Battery Less Then 500 Miles | eBay

Tesla Model s 85 85KWH Main Lithium Battery Less Then 500 Miles | eBay

although at $29k, that's significantly more steep than one 60kW owner who paid Tesla $18k to upgrade his pack from 60 to 85. i'd rather go that route then paying more for a battery pack and then having to do the swap myself (plus without the danger and possible warranty void).

Are you talking about the 12V battery, or the "big battery"?

12V battery - why bother, when service will do it for free (this is coming from a car guy with his own lift at home).
HV battery - you're nuts. Do you have any idea of the dangers of 400VDC at a few hundred amps? This will not end well. You'll screw it up (since no one outside of Tesla knows how to do it right) and they'll charge you a ton to clean up your mistakes. That's assuming you don't kill yourself in the process.

Well, not a swap, but Otmar has already removed and re-installed his back a couple of times safely:

http://cafeelectric.com/stretchla/2013/12/27/wheels-are-turning/

Not for the faint of heart, obviously... but doable, although not necessarily without warranty implications.

I am thinking you would be the first battery transplant outside of Tesla proper. Tesla has swapped batteries on numerous cars, as well as put 85kWh packs into 60kWh cars. So we know this can be done. But whether there is a software interlock, or diagnostic you have to run when transplanting a battery it remains to be seen.

But based on the battery swap station demo, it would appear that swapping a pack like for like might very well be just plugging it in. I know they could have rigged the demo car to ignore these faults, but it would be very disingenuous to show something that easy if you needed something complicated in order to swap packs.

If you try it, let us know how it goes. I'll probably want to do this myself 10 years down the road when my original pack finally needs a refresh.

I am trying to recycle a perfect battery, that otherwise would be landfilled. I simply believe that letting a battery that costed at least 30k to manufacture being scrapped is a disrespect to the planet we live on. I would be happiest if Tesla took the battery and put it in a new car or offered it to someone as a upgrade.

While true, keep in mind there are other ways to enforce these kinds of things. Whenever I read someone quoting Magnuson-Moss, I cringe for two reasons -- the first is that threatening legal action is rarely the best course to take unless it is your last course to take, and the second is that Magnuson-Moss doesn't address everything that could be used to enforce an objective. Tesla may not be able to deny you warranty coverage for the vehicle, but it could potentially deny you other services. For example, Tesla could force you to live without Internet connectivity (mobile app, web browser, Internet radio), if the remote network services are contingent upon certain actions taken by you.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've learned enough about business law to know that there are multiple ways to skin a cat and it's difficult to cover them all. I've also learned enough about business law to know to ask a lawyer. :)

Of course, over time, these provisions would be tested, new laws would be drafted, etc. In its initial years here, Tesla is aiming for a fully vertically integrated environment and will transition over time as things open up.

All very true. I wasn't meaning to imply that there would be no implications. I was just making sure to correct a misstatement; a common misconception. I am very pedantic, for similar reasons why I know a lot about the MM Act.

I am trying to recycle a perfect battery, that otherwise would be landfilled. I simply believe that letting a battery that costed at least 30k to manufacture being scrapped is a disrespect to the planet we live on. I would be happiest if Tesla took the battery and put it in a new car or offered it to someone as a upgrade.

Have you talked to Tesla about recycling it? What was their reaction?