Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhiteStar styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I searched through a lot of sedan concept car images, and collected up some of the ones I thought looked most modern, stylish, sophisticated, classy, aggressive and cool:

fisker__mezzogiorno.jpg

2008_BMW_Concept_CS.jpg
2008_BMW_Concept_CS_side.jpg

Jag_09_XF_07Cncpt_bl_12.jpg
Jag_09_XF_07Cncpt_bl_11.jpg

Jag_09_XF_07Cncpt_bl_3.jpg
Jag_09_XF_07Cncpt_bl_8.jpg

A_M_08_Rapide_bl_front.jpg
A_M_08_Rapide_bl_rear.jpg

0505_porsche_panamera_1.jpg
porsche-panamera.jpg

07porsche184.jpg

AlfaRomeoVisconti_07_lg.jpg

Modded production cars (perhaps a better design for a $30K 3rd model):
tommy_kaira.jpg

tsxaspec05.jpg
03.mazda.6.mps.f34.500.jpg

031606NL_UC3.jpg
KVB_159_com.gif

I like the "fastback" shape of that Alfa Romeo Visconti concept car.

I would be terrible at styling cars because I am too reactionary.  I'm usually against whatever is currently fashionable.

Some currently fashionable cars that I do like are the current Aston Martins.  But they seem to have a timeless quality, I think they will still look good 20 years from now.  I can't say the same for the Chevy Volt, for example.  :p

I generally don't like boxy or chunky shapes.  I think the 1980s were the lowest point of car design, when all the cars looked like a box with another box sitting on it.  (And that reminds me of Papa's burgundy red 1989 Cadillac Brougham, which was by far the crummiest car we ever had.)

I agree with those who like the Alfa Romeo for style, but I also agree that it and some of the others look like rear headroom would be compromised. Also, I like the BMW, except (like some of the others) that it follows the recent trend of really high window sills and thus tiny windows. What's with that? Sure, it looks "tough" from the outside...but when I'm inside I want to actually see outside. About that Lotus...looks a bit small, and only has two doors. And it's pretty exotic looking for a sedan (probably since it's a coupe). As for Tesla sacrificing comfort in its design, that doesn't sound likely to me. First off, they get to do just about anything they want, since the motor is tiny and the batteries can go anywhere...so there's really no reason for the interior not to be roomier than anything else in its class (does this thing have a class?). But also I would cite Elon's statements so far about the Roadster: he forced a redesign to lower the doorsills, and now he's saying they're going to replace the seats...all just for comfort. If that's the way he thinks about their performance car, I'd expect the luxury sports sedan to be downright, well, luxurious.

Anyway, isn't this all a moot point? Don't they already have the body design done? And darn it, when do we get to see this thing? They keep saying "soon."

For me, Model S needs to be a practical car with lots of space for passengers and cargo. I recently heard a Tesla employee mention that it would provide ample space, much more than a BMW 3-series, closer to a 7-series. In terms of the actual design, he said that they were in the process of making a clay model and that the "real" car would be unveiled before the end of year. I certainly hope so.

0407_03z+bmw_5_series_touring_wagon+left.jpg

Model S design musings

So... with the Model S design not public yet (not finished yet?) we can still speculate about it. The age old question remains on the design: For a 5-seat sedan in the $60k class would you prefer a more aerodynamic design, or one that is "nicer" looking.

The Roadster is nice looking, but not super aerodynamic (as no convertible can be). The EV1 was more aerodynamic, but arguably not as nice looking.

The Model S will be (I'm guessing) a 4000 lb sedan. So by default its range and power will have more challenges than the Roadster currently has. They can make it super aerodynamic and make the numbers go up... and make a car that will be difficult to sell to the mainstream on looks. They can make a car look very nice, but have lousy range, acceleration etc.

Where would you like them to compromise? For those interested in buying a Whitestar is it more important to you to have a car which looks very nice, or one which has superior range/power numbers?

Well if the Fisker Karma had indeed been the Whitestar (S) final design it would have struck a pretty good compromise for us. We have a down on the FK but will pull that in a nanosecond if the S is Superior.