Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to the Gainesville/Hawthorne area (from out of state) - Charging suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sifting through plugshare and does anyone have any recommendations for charging either in Hawthorne, Gainesville (if I really have to... long wait here is not what I am wishing for), or Ocala? If nothing else, I will need a means to get a full charge in order to make it over to Tampa to visit some other family... so I need a means to get a full charge somewhere in that area or else I wont be able to make it. And asking my Grandma who is already not likely to be too keen on me using her 120v to install a higher powered outlet is just out of the question haha! (She now thinks because I own an expensive car that I am too good for the family... what gives? My main goal... win Grandma over to the car!)

- - - Updated - - -

For the point of Reference I plan to hit up the St Augustine SC before making my trip over to Citra (which is actually where she lives). But I will need a means to get out of that area to Tampa and Orlando if possible. Just looking for options. This will be my first MAJOR roadtrip and I am only really worried about destination charging since Tesla has solved everything else :)

Also, for a reference point, can someone tell me how much the electricity costs down there in FL?

RV parks might be the best option if you're going to be doing a lot of local driving. Try the search feature as I think there have been some prior threads with specifics.

But St Augustine-Citra-Tampa is only about 190 miles, very doable in an 85 since the first leg is not interstates and you'll have to stay in the speed limits because of the small town speed traps. Several hours at 110v at Grannie's should give you an extra buffer. Orlando is about 170, but is backtracking to get to Tampa. You could charge at the Service Center there. Try using EV Planner to refine your route and exact distances. Let us know how it goes.

Ok, I might give that a try if all else fails (RV Parks).

I knew there was a trip planner, thanks for the name... cause I couldn't remember where it was haha! Based on this for the different legs of the trip, it tries to estimate how much rated range you use up, I assume this is pretty close (assuming you are going the speed they are assuming you are), That should help with estimating how much extra buffer I should give myself for each of the legs during my charging. I am really not expecting this to be too hard, my only major concern is the destination charging, but any tips are appreciated :)