Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why SHOULDN'T i buy a model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello forum, new here and ive read quite a few posts and articles praising the model s. while im still waiting for my test drive request to be fulfilled, i know that ill be awestruck by driving the model s.

that being said i joined this forum to see pretty pictures of model s...es? in the wild and to read what issues people are experiencing.

so... why should me and the wife not pull our financial resources to buy a model s 85kwh? :tongue:

I think that entirely depends on how much pulling you're willing to do for the best car in the world. I can't think of anything negative to say about the car specifically, so the focus may need to be more on your personal situation.
Full disclosure: I don't have my Model S yet and haven't even ridden one before, so my opinion may very well change once I get mine, but I have a feeling it will only get better.

This probably isn't the right forum to hear arguments supporting NOT buying a Model S.
I'm sure your local dealership would tell you all sorts of reasons, though. :) Don't believe 'em.

well i know what the meathead commenters on youtube think already. im looking for the "aww... i wish" comments from people who forked over the large amount of money.

hmmm, will you need to ever drive a gas powered car again? it will suck majorly if/when you do. Also Other cars will become very loud if you don't notice that already & smelly

the wife and i currently drive electric golf carts, honda fit ev and fiat 500e. they work amazingly for going to work and back but driving anywhere over 40 miles away becomes complex. we are completely sold on electric powertrains.

i have a horribly uncomfortable supercharger miata racecar, that "could" be used in a bind but its not a fun drive for anyone other than me. we are looking at the model s because A its amazing, and B it more than covers 95% of all trips we do, anything else should be able to worked out with super chargers.

but yes, i totally agree, last night i had to buy gas for the miata. the first time i have stopped at a gas station in months and though, damn... this sucks.

Don't buy a Model S if you love the smell of gasoline.

Don't buy a Model S if you love to get greasy and fix a car yourself.

Don't buy a Model S if you love the roar of an engine.

Don't buy a Model S if you love visiting your dealership and haggling over purchase price and every single repair.

Don't buy a Model S if you love sitting in traffic.

the best arguments i could come up with.... sorry if they are weak...

no cup holders in the rear
no sun glasses holder
no "holy ****" handles

Tesla isn't a "brand name" (brands means nothing to me but i heard it from someone else)

that's about it...?

but if you want reasons to buy the Tesla? umm ill need a couple hours to type that up.

Have you driven one?

not yet, submitted a request for a test drive but have not heard anything back. i was passenger in a p85+ crusing around the central california coast for a day that was not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

the best arguments i could come up with.... sorry if they are weak...

no cup holders in the rear
no sun glasses holder
no "holy ****" handles

Tesla isn't a "brand name" (brands means nothing to me but i heard it from someone else)

that's about it...?

but if you want reasons to buy the Tesla? umm ill need a couple hours to type that up.

hahah, no no, i have MANY of those. this was initiated as a pros v cons list. i pretty much know all the pros already.

Go talk to a Toyota/Lexus dealer if you want to hear why not. Or just listen to one of their EV bashing ads...:wink:

Honestly, I tell everyone that it is the perfect car except it is expensive. That was the fact it was hardest for me to overcome. Otherwise perfect. Beautiful, American made by an American company, fast, high tech, long range electric, extremely safe. What's not to like??

There are a few downsides to owning a tesla...

*you will likely have to fight your spouse every day for who will get to drive the tesla to wherever you are going
*you WILL be sad when you arrive at your destination (after 6 mo and 15k mi I still am)
*because it's a newerish car there are still a few minor kinks still being worked out but they are very minor and service is absolutely fantastic to work with and they will do everything to make things correct!

The only thing I can think of... you'll be ashamed of your unnatural love for your car.

Or as in my case, maybe become a total Tesla geek.
People, clients, customers, vendors, colleagues introduce me as "the guy who has a Tesla", then I proceed to do everything except hand them the keys to my car (and sometimes even that).

Friends and acquaintances are always sending me articles and quotes, most of the time it is something I had already read a couple of days prior (thank you TMC contributors).
Friend of mine has a sister who is waiting for the delivery of their Model S, because he was so impressed after riding in mine.

One pebble sends many ripples.

I finally test drove an S85 (which is the type I intend to buy) on Saturday and I can say that there is no comparison that I can think of. What astounded me wasn't the incredible acceleration from zero, though that was cool and impressive, it was the acceleration at 50 MPH. There is no downshifting for power that you expect from a gas/diesel car. The car does what you ask of it with no questions or delays. It redefines what a car is and makes a gasser feel like outdated old technology.

By the way, the people in the store are fantastic.

Don't buy a Tesla if:

-you love the smell of gas
-you love the smell of exhaust
-you want to drive a slower ICE car
-you hate modern technology & ipad-looking touch-screens
-you will miss the traditional snake oil salesman dealership
-you don't mind paying 5-8% of a car's purchase price for dealer/middleman profit vs. direct sales model
-you enjoy making an appt at the dealership for updates, oil changes, etc
-you wouldn't enjoy "a free ride" via the national Supercharger network (100+ stations in USA and counting) when road-tripping
-you don't want to drive the safest car ever, as tested by NHTSA

Last edited:
hello forum, new here and ive read quite a few posts and articles praising the model s. while im still waiting for my test drive request to be fulfilled, i know that ill be awestruck by driving the model s.

that being said i joined this forum to see pretty pictures of model s...es? in the wild and to read what issues people are experiencing.

so... why should me and the wife not pull our financial resources to buy a model s 85kwh? :tongue:

Only reason I can come up with is that you'd rather wait for the Model X.

My wife and I spent way more than we ever imagined any one could spend. We have never been sorry. Best. Car. Ever. We find we just want to drive. We have going on 45,000 miles on the car in a little over 18 months. Have saved over $7500 on gas alone, not to mention no service required. It may cost more, but have you realized that driving a gas car you will spend the price of another car in a dozen years. Exxon-Mobil makes like $30 Billion in profits per year.

Oh, and it's the Best. Car. Ever. (yeah, again) Some things are priceless.