Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Superchargers all 90kW limited so far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to make sure that this is still true?
We're currently staying in St Augustine on our way home from a week-long 1,600 mile road trip to/from NC.

Yesterday, the St Augustine Supercharger started at (and didn't go above) 90 kW. I tried two different spots (1B and 3B) and they both were limited to 90 kW. For some reason spot 2B would not charge at all and I kept getting the dash message "check connection" even though the green ring was blinking. We arrived there with 48 rated miles (from Savannah) and we were the only Tesla there the whole time.

On the way up a week ago the St Augustine Supercharger rate was also low but I assumed it was because of my high SOC (177 rated mi). I believe all the other Superchargers on our way up to NC and back started at 120 kW and then tapered, including Port Orange and Port St Lucie, but I'll take special notice at both of them tomorrow afternoon on our final leg home and post what I see.

BTW - this trip alleviated us of any range anxiety. It was a breeze. We also charged at one hotel and our friend's house in NC. Tesla's average-based "projected range" tools are great and were dead-on, including on the longest leg (Savannah-St Augustine).

When I traveled to Washington, DC St Augustine was the slowest Supercharger I used. Joe from Tampa said his charge was not slow.

I have a Ver. A battery so it will always be 90 kW.

Glad you had a great trip. If the Greenville, SC Supercharger is finished by June 13th I may meet Kim there.

...St Augustine was the slowest Supercharger I used. Joe from Tampa said his charge was not slow.
In addition to starting at only 90 kW (I have a "D" batt), the St Augustine Supercharger also seemed to taper down quicker and take longer but I don't have numbers to back that up.

Concerning Joe's results - I didn't try spots 1A, 2A or 3A. They may have not been limited to 90 kW and/or charged quicker. Perhaps someone else could compare results from the St Augustine "A" and "B" spots and post. We are headed south from here today, so we can't do it.

Yes, those new Superchargers west of the I-95 corridor will open a lot of nice travel opportunities.

The Fort Myers SuperCharger is 120kW. As mentioned above, charging rates differ based on the battery pack version - i.e. only version A batteries are limited to 90kW charging. However, the difference in the charging times are small. Take a look at the "charge off" comparisons in this thread and on this site.

We're currently staying in St Augustine on our way home from a week-long 1,600 mile road trip to/from NC.

Yesterday, the St Augustine Supercharger started at (and didn't go above) 90 kW. I tried two different spots (1B and 3B) and they both were limited to 90 kW. For some reason spot 2B would not charge at all and I kept getting the dash message "check connection" even though the green ring was blinking. We arrived there with 48 rated miles (from Savannah) and we were the only Tesla there the whole time.

On the way up a week ago the St Augustine Supercharger rate was also low but I assumed it was because of my high SOC (177 rated mi). I believe all the other Superchargers on our way up to NC and back started at 120 kW and then tapered, including Port Orange and Port St Lucie, but I'll take special notice at both of them tomorrow afternoon on our final leg home and post what I see.

BTW - this trip alleviated us of any range anxiety. It was a breeze. We also charged at one hotel and our friend's house in NC. Tesla's average-based "projected range" tools are great and were dead-on, including on the longest leg (Savannah-St Augustine).

Thanks, Bill. Looking forward to hearing about Port St. Lucie in particular from your experience today.

Ron

Just stopped at Port St Lucie this afternoon with a P85. Had 85 miles rated range when plugged in and after about two minutes and 9 miles added showing 94 it was charging at 301 A and 370 V = about 111KW. Claimed 354 MPH charge rate.
One other plugged in a few spots over.
I am guessing it would have been 120KW at a lower rated range.
I remember from two weeks ago the voltage was closer to 400. I forget the amps. I only had 20 miles left at that time. Took 90 minutes to top off then. Today just over an hour. Slower than I had originally envisioned but that leaves time for half priced appetizers at TGI Fridays on Sundays
Sure beats the 4MPH with extension cord at an Orlando hotel now to make sure I have margin to get back to PSL

Thanks, Bill. Looking forward to hearing about Port St. Lucie in particular from your experience today.

Ron
Ron,

When we arrived at the Port St Lucie Supercharger today, spots 1A, 2A, 3A and 1B were being used, so we pulled into 4B (so as not to be sharing a circuit) and it started charging at 120 kW and tapered as expected while we ate at Fridays. The Port Orange Supercharger also started at 120 kW and tapered as expected. The only Supercharger that we found to be limited to 90 kW was St Augustine.

Ron,

When we arrived at the Port St Lucie Supercharger today, spots 1A, 2A, 3A and 1B were being used, so we pulled into 4B (so as not to be sharing a circuit) and it started charging at 120 kW and tapered as expected while we ate at Fridays. The Port Orange Supercharger also started at 120 kW and tapered as expected. The only Supercharger that we found to be limited to 90 kW was St Augustine.

Thanks to you and BlkCld for the data! Seems like you guys may have been there at the same time :)