Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing at low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear a distinct buzzing when easing on the throttle up to about 20mph after that it fades out. I assume it is coming from the motor as it seems to originate from the right rear (passenger side of the car)

It is not overly loud but loud enough to be an annoyance.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

I'm hearing a similar noise when I accelerate or decelerate at highway speeds - 50-70 MPH is when it's most noticeable. It's a noise that I never heard before. If it's the inverter, is this normal wear and tear, or should it be serviced? My car just turned a year old and has about 17,000 miles on it. The first annual service was done a few weeks ago.

I'm hearing a similar noise when I accelerate or decelerate at highway speeds - 50-70 MPH is when it's most noticeable. It's a noise that I never heard before. If it's the inverter, is this normal wear and tear, or should it be serviced? My car just turned a year old and has about 17,000 miles on it. The first annual service was done a few weeks ago.
I had to have my inverter replaced for something similar. However, it was only on deceleration I really heard it, basically only when regen kicked in (kw went red->green)

It also might be the audio speakers buzzing. Have someone sit in the back and try to listen to the speakers in the doors to see if it's coming from there. If so, there might be a loose wire or connection somewhere in the audio system. But it's more probably that it's related to the inverter.

Thanks
Not the cell phone but possibly the speakers I will check that scenario out today.

If it is the inverter is this something that I need to be (overly) concerned about?

Although this happens at low speed if I push the car (plan to take it to the track this weekend) could it compound the issue?

I heard the same thing y'day. Was parked for about 15 minutes and as I left and turned on the AC, heard a loud buzzing and had to mute my music for a few seconds just to make sure it was my car. It went away though after about a minute.

This is a known noise. Occurs between 10-20 kW of consumption, typically. Those with finely tuned ears can hear the gentle buzzing as you give it some power, but to hear it well, roll down the windows and go through a tunnel or in a parking garage.

I know several owners - as well as I - have reported it. It developed in my car around 20k miles. As I understand it, it is considered "normal" behavior by Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard the same thing y'day. Was parked for about 15 minutes and as I left and turned on the AC, heard a loud buzzing and had to mute my music for a few seconds just to make sure it was my car. It went away though after about a minute.

This is different - that is likely to be your A/C compressor.

I hear a distinct buzzing when easing on the throttle up to about 20mph after that it fades out. I assume it is coming from the motor as it seems to originate from the right rear (passenger side of the car)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

I had this exact issue in my car. Light throttle at low speed produced an electrical buzzing sound coming from the vicinity of the rear right. However, I also had a very noticeable humming sound from the inverter on the highway. My drive unit was replaced last summer.

This is a known noise. Occurs between 10-20 kW of consumption, typically. Those with finely tuned ears can hear the gentle buzzing as you give it some power, but to hear it well, roll down the windows and go through a tunnel or in a parking garage.

I know several owners - as well as I - have reported it. It developed in my car around 20k miles. As I understand it, it is considered "normal" behavior by Tesla.

yes this sound.
I wonder if it is the inverter getting 'broken in' and harmonics starting in the coil? This range of power consumption is right around the average overall power draw when driving, something like ~15-25kW or so for typical cruising. there is a level of acceleration that I can push the pedal to make the inverter sound kind of pulse, sort of like the sound of a Kitchen-aid mixing really stiff dough
Living in Humboldt I know that old grow lights would begin to buzz louder and louder, not sure if the inverter is similar maybe? New lights have some sort of digital inverter set up now

Same. My drive unit was replaced a while ago and the noise went away. It's back now. And if considered normal that sucks because it's really noticeable with the windows down. I wonder what it sounds like to pedestrians. I'm about to call it in - same service manager as who dealt with it before so we'll see what he says.

Same. My drive unit was replaced a while ago and the noise went away. It's back now. And if considered normal that sucks because it's really noticeable with the windows down. I wonder what it sounds like to pedestrians. I'm about to call it in - same service manager as who dealt with it before so we'll see what he says.

Let us know what he said. Mine is noticeable and has been for a while.

I have the same buzzing sound from right rear. 5-25kW. Its not loud though, rest of family cant hear it unless I tell them to:) I find the noise annoying, service techn. confirmed sound but said normal operating sound when test driving. started around 8k miles, now 10k miles.

I now have the same buzz as well. Perhaps related to 5.9 as it has never existed previously. So, lets see, I now have the low power buzz, the gear lash clunk (when easing on and off the throttle at low speeds), and I have the ever so lovely high-pitched balloon squeal under heavier acceleration. All of these are "normal" according to Tesla. That is a whole lot of normal sounds. Nots even sure what else there is that could develop next, but all these "normal sounds" are growing tiresome in totality [Sigh + head shake].

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

I had this same issue. I took the car in for tank mode and mentioned it along with the drone at highway speeds (over 70mph for extended periods of time)

Long story short, I got a new drive unit. All noises are gone now.