Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q1 Conference Call (a bit garbled transcription). I assume 6.0 is what he was talking about

Elon R. Musk
Software (indiscernible) I think there are some very exciting software updates that are going to come out in the next few months that certainly will improve the experience of the whole suite of customers out there and if anyone ask me about that I’m looking to say what they are, so just broader information as it is, but I think customers can certainly look forward to some really awesome functionality improvements in their exi(s)ting car.

Translation: Amazing stuff is coming in "the next few months" (my read on Tesla time: by the end of the year).

firmware version 6.0

promised really neat does anyone know when released or new items.

no inside info but i am betting navigation since i have no imagination. maybe real time traffic with cars communicating or directions on long trips including the needed super charger stops.

any ideas

Don't forget, they hired that software security guru from Apple earlier in the year so she may have found some flaws that's keeping the software from being released. IMO, let them go over it with a fine tooth comb and get all of the "bugs" out first before releasing this major version.

Don't forget, they hired that software security guru from Apple earlier in the year so she may have found some flaws that's keeping the software from being released. IMO, let them go over it with a fine tooth comb and get all of the "bugs" out first before releasing this major version.

Not sure how much sense that makes. Security patches are reasons to prioritize a software release, not further delay it.

Apple's WWDC (World-Wide Developers Conference) is at the Moscone Center in San Francisco on June 2nd-6th. Apple is expected to reveal iOS 8.0 for the first time. New features for mapping and contact integration are expected along with a refined API for CarPlay.

Pure speculation on my part
, but I wonder if some of the (perceived) delay in releasing TeslaOS 6.0 (is there an actual name for the MS firmware?) might be coordination with other important software partners?

I have absolutely no idea as to the current status of 6.0. I was just pointing out that there is an awful lot of speculation, and the answer could be as simple as "it's still in development and isn't ready for any customer vehicles yet".

And it wasn't "fancy new". It was "fancy refurbished"... service center had 1 refurbished D and 1 new D on hand, I got the refurb. :)

Last edited:
When Elon talked about 6.0 he indicated it would have a lot of improvements/new functions. Given that TM appears to be pushing out more updates to 5.9 series still and that from beta testing to general release appears (speculation) to take months, not weeks, I would be surprised to see general release before August/September.

Not sure how much sense that makes. Security patches are reasons to prioritize a software release, not further delay it.

It makes sense. Most issues are only a potential for mischief. One can either band-aid patch against specific known problems, or one can fix the underlying key assumptions that ultimately made a vulnerability possible. Fixing the fundamentals is harder but more robust.

It makes sense. Most issues are only a potential for mischief. One can either band-aid patch against specific known problems, or one can fix the underlying key assumptions that ultimately made a vulnerability possible. Fixing the fundamentals is harder but more robust.

Granted, but what's your point? We're talking about the timing of a release, not the philosophy of patching security holes. We'd need a whole new thread for that.