Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno Green Race track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Sounds like he is watching the UK car show scene.

His new show involves cars in a couple of ways including interviews in cars (Leweno?) There is also green racing.

'Jay Leno Show' format revealed--The Live Feed

Leno also previewed some segments, such as the advertiser-friendly "Green Car Challenge," where celebrities race against each other in alternative fuel vehicles. NBC has built a race track next to the studio where guests can compete against each other.

"You can see who is faster, Shaquille O'Neal or Cameron Diaz," Leno said.

Last edited:
Officially, official: Jay Leno to put stars in (un)reasonably priced car — Autoblog Green

fordbev_04b.jpg

All I know, with all that branding on the car they'd better start selling the darn thing. I question the wisdom of starting with a gas car that's not even available in the US. At any rate, this is a good marketing move for Ford, if only we could actually buy the car. Though now they're claiming a Focus BEV will go on sale in 2011.

The Ford Story: Electric Ford Focus is the Car for Stars on “The Jay Leno Show

This video is cool because it shows some of the conversion process:
The woman narrating the video claims the car will do "400 laps in one charge." Somehow I doubt those are hot laps.

For reference, here's Clarkson's review of the donor car:

"Asbo Orange" has entered the national vocabulary for that shade now, thanks to that review.

The Focus hatch has always been good to drive. When they first came out, I had a couple of normal ones as rental cars and was extremely impressed with the handling.

I was talking to Lisa from Ford at the show today (I thought she was the usual motor show "hostess" at first, but judging by her depth of knowledge on the whole subject I'm guessing is an engineer on the program - that'll teach me to assume). Anyway, apparently the car will definitely go on sale in the US in 2011. They want to get the range up to 100 miles from the current 75, though. But she said there was no guarantee that it will go on sale in Europe. Strange that they are testing them in London, then.

I'm not impressed with this segment of the show. The track is lame, a cartoon, along the lines of a fairground go-kart course. For that matter, the track even includes cartoons -- cutouts of Al Gore and Ed Begley to drive around -- along with silly string and ping pong balls. Leno took the idea of the Top Gear track and "stupid-ed" it up.

It was lame as all get of but I will defended it on two counts.

Of course anything that is pro EV is a good thing, and two, Jay loves cars and this is something that he wanted. I'm sure every lame thing about was done as a condition that it would happen at all. If Jay was dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave.

This thing would actually be cool if it were a Tesla at a proper track but I have to believe it is "pay for play" and Ford is paying the Jay Leno Show nicely for the privilege.

Seriously - a fake track out back the studio in a car that is front wheel drive is not going to make for any exciting driving, although it may indeed be funny.

This helps reinforce the EV message like the new strings of indoor EV Gokart tracks. Anything to further EV=Fast.

Note the immediately following the segment they went to a Ford Electric Hybrid commercial. It might even have been a :60.

Jay Leno Brings EVs Into America’s Living Room | Autopia | Wired.com

“We wanted to show that electric cars can be fun and something you can race,” Leno said. “In America, electric cars have the same cachet as golf carts. To see an electric car skidding around a track, I think it has the scope to change people’s perceptions of eco cars.”
... Leno was adamant that the feature, slated to run an average of twice weekly, support and promote American automotive engineering and ingenuity.

“I wanted an American manufacturer, and the only one with anything ready-to-go and viable was Ford,” Leno said. “GM is like a government company now. It’s a little tricky to get anything done.” ...
leno_green_challenge_04.jpg

leno_green_challenge_05.jpg