Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging to Scottsdale, Arizona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes... but looks like you have a 60, so the most direct route (I-5 to I-10) still needs a stop in Hawthorn, and the non-existent Indio Supercharger to make it work. Tejon to Indio is beyond a 60's range in the heat (might be OK from Oct-Apr if you go slow..).

With the current Superchargers, you could take I-5 to Tejon, then go to Barstow, Las Vegas, and Kingman before taking US 93 into the Phoenix area (although Barstow-LV is right at the max range for a 60, so go the speed limit...). But that adds 2 hours of driving (~11.5 hours driving only from SF to Scottsdale via Hawthorne vs 13.5 hours if going through Vegas), plus an extra Supercharger stop...

Alternately, you could do the I-10 route, and plan to stop at the new Cathedral City service center for a few hours to get enough juice to make it to Quartzsite (probably a bit over 4 hours). EV Trip Planner shows Hawthorn to Cathedral City using 133 rated miles -- so a range charge at Hawthorn should allow you to arrive at Cathedral City with ~65 RM. Cathedral City to Quartzsite takes 160 RM -- so you'd need to add just over 100 miles...

On a side note, we also have 60 and are planning a road trip up to BC this summer -- hopefully the Indio Supercharger construction starts soon since its the only gap we have for the trip... If its not there, our backup plan is to charge at Cathedral City for 4 hours on the way to a stop at Disneyland. On the way back, we'll be staying a night either in Barstow and doing the Vegas detour or staying in Palm Springs at a hotel with charging, then doing the last 4 hours home on the last morning of the trip...

Yes... but looks like you have a 60, so the most direct route (I-5 to I-10) still needs a stop in Hawthorn, and the non-existent Indio Supercharger to make it work. Tejon to Indio is beyond a 60's range in the heat (might be OK from Oct-Apr if you go slow..).

With the current Superchargers, you could take I-5 to Tejon, then go to Barstow, Las Vegas, and Kingman before taking US 93 into the Phoenix area (although Barstow-LV is right at the max range for a 60, so go the speed limit...). But that adds 2 hours of driving (~11.5 hours driving only from SF to Scottsdale via Hawthorne vs 13.5 hours if going through Vegas), plus an extra Supercharger stop...

Alternately, you could do the I-10 route, and plan to stop at the new Cathedral City service center for a few hours to get enough juice to make it to Quartzsite (probably a bit over 4 hours). EV Trip Planner shows Hawthorn to Cathedral City using 133 rated miles -- so a range charge at Hawthorn should allow you to arrive at Cathedral City with ~65 RM. Cathedral City to Quartzsite takes 160 RM -- so you'd need to add just over 100 miles...

On a side note, we also have 60 and are planning a road trip up to BC this summer -- hopefully the Indio Supercharger construction starts soon since its the only gap we have for the trip... If its not there, our backup plan is to charge at Cathedral City for 4 hours on the way to a stop at Disneyland. On the way back, we'll be staying a night either in Barstow and doing the Vegas detour or staying in Palm Springs at a hotel with charging, then doing the last 4 hours home on the last morning of the trip...
Thanks ZZB, I was actually asking for a friend who spends 6 months in Scottsdale and 6 months in Sonoma. He is seriously thinking about a Model S but has concerns about being able to make that trip. It would be definitely easier for him to go the I-10 route. Maybe he needs an 85. I will keep working on him.

Thanks ZZB, I was actually asking for a friend who spends 6 months in Scottsdale and 6 months in Sonoma. He is seriously thinking about a Model S but has concerns about being able to make that trip. It would be definitely easier for him to go the I-10 route. Maybe he needs an 85. I will keep working on him.

Once the Indio Supercharger is avail, this will be an easy trip. Currently, Hawthorne to Quartzsite is hyper-mile only territory for an 85. Tejon to Indio should be easy in an 85 also, so could skip Hawthorne...

Perhaps Sonoma Bill can pipe in too -- he winters in Tucson and summers in Sonoma...