Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed with Tesla Rep today. No internet browser for Model S in Hong Kong

Moderator's Note: 2014/08/13 Tesla is now delivering Model S in Hong Kong with Internet Browser enabled. See the comments towards the end of this thread for updated information.

Moderator's Note: 2014/09/06 And now it has been disabled again. See the comments towards the end of this thread for updated information.

Last edited by a moderator:
No browser? What else has been left out? I would like to see official confirmation of this. Either way I'm sure it's hackable. As for the data in general they need to supply it because they use it for navigation and possibly also systems monitoring.

I would also add that I have been told totally wrong information from Tesla reps twice so I wouldn't believe what you hear without seeing it in writing.

There is no provision to put in your own data card as you'd need to dismantle the dash.

My Prius has a rear facing camera so it should be ok. Got to get something for our $29000 tech package...

Last edited:
Ok, from these demo cars, we found out another function has been crippled! Do the HK Model S run a diff firmware?! After the no third-row option, now no web browsing, the HK gov once again shows us how rigid and behind they are!

No Web Browsing! Apparently HK gov does not allow it, so the whole Web button has been removed!

10257849_10152414739315396_7968039313667704738_n.jpg

Ok, from these demo cars, we found out another function has been crippled! Do the HK Model S run a diff firmware?! After the no third-row option, now no web browsing, the HK gov once again shows us how rigid and behind they are!

No Web Browsing! Apparently HK gov does not allow it, so the whole Web button has been removed!

View attachment 49180

I think transport department banned it. I know they banned all video player if it works when the car is in motion. I hope we can use the backup camera when the car is moving forward. But I don't understand why they banned the internet browser which doesn't support YouTube anyway.

I think transport department banned it. I know they banned all video player if it works when the car is in motion. I hope we can use the backup camera when the car is moving forward. But I don't understand why they banned the internet browser which doesn't support YouTube anyway.

From my understanding, the law bans video even when cars are stationary. Really not sure why the browser would be banned (so long as it can't display video) - I can't remember seeing any such restriction in the law, but will review anyway.

Regarding web browser, seems to be here:

CAP 374A regulation 37

Cap 374A reg 37 Visual display units (Road Traffic (Construction and Maintenance of Vehicles) Regulations; ROAD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE)

(1)No person shall install or cause to be installed in or on a motor vehicle and no motor vehicle shall have installed therein or thereon a visual display unit other than a visual display unit that may be installed under paragraph (2)- (L.N. 1 of 2000)
(a)at any point forward of the driver's seat;
(b)so that the screen thereof is partly or wholly, and whether directly or in any reflection, visible to the driver whilst in the driving seat; or
(c)so that the controls thereof, other than the sound volume control and the main switch, are within reach of the driver whilst in the driving seat.

(2)Subject to paragraph (3), a visual display unit that is designed to give the driver-
(a)information about the current state of the vehicle or its equipment;
(b)the current closed-circuit view of any part of the vehicle or the area surrounding the vehicle;
(c)information about the current location of the vehicle; or
(d)any other information which is only for the purpose of navigating the vehicle,
may be installed in or on a motor vehicle. (L.N. 1 of 2000)

(3)A visual display unit which enables the display of-
(a)any television programme within the meaning of section 2(1) of the Broadcasting Ordinance (Cap 562); or (48 of 2000 s. 44)
(b)any stored visual images except for the purposes of paragraph (2)(d),
may not be installed under paragraph (2) at a point forward of the driver's seat as referred to in paragraph (1)(a) or in the manner referred to in paragraph (1)(b) or (c). (L.N. 1 of 2000)

These HK regs are ridiculously restrictive.

Last edited:
These restrictions seem severe enough that Model S may not be viable at all in the Hong Kong market.
The 17" touch screen is integral to the car, no way around that at this point.
Cannot be altered or removed without a complete rebuild of the car itself.
Will the HK gov't actually force Model S out of the market?

These restrictions seem severe enough that Model S may not be viable at all in the Hong Kong market.
The 17" touch screen is integral to the car, no way around that at this point.
Cannot be altered or removed without a complete rebuild of the car itself.
Will the HK gov't actually force Model S out of the market?

Looking at the 'apps' currently available on the 17" screen:

• Media
  • Nav
  • Energy
  • Web
  • Camera
  • Phone

Seems that 'Web' is the only one to violate the regulation. The others are all about 'the current state of the vehicle or its equipment'.

What is concerning is any future App store. The 'navigation' exemption helps, but I can think of a lot of useful apps that don't fit in that category.

What is annoying is that IMHO these restrictions are fine, so long as they only relate to a vehicle in motion. I see no reason why these restrictions should be in place for a vehicle parked beside the road with the parking brake applied. Most other countries seem to have that exemption.