Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates and VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody noticed a correlation between running VisibleTesla, or otherwise keeping their MS awake, and receiving software updates early?

I was at the Raleigh service center a few weeks ago talking to the people there while having some routine service done on my MS (#26157) and we got talking about software updates. I mentioned to them I thought it was odd that I’ve received just about every software update as soon as it came out when I've read on the forums that some people wait weeks to get updates and sometimes don't get them at all. Every time I’m prompted to install an update I’ll hop on the forums and there’s usually only one or two dozen posts about the new update, which quickly turns into a dozen or two pages within a week. I asked if there’s any reason they can think of why I get the updates so early considering my late VIN and they commented it all depends on connectivity and when your car sleeps.

That got me thinking because I’m usually on WiFi at night and I’ve run VisibleTesla constantly since I got my MS. The only times my car has seemed asleep are when I forgot to run VisibleTesla after rebooting my computer or when VisibleTesla has a problem, which is rare. When I say my car has seemed asleep what I mean is, for example, when I start the Tesla app on my phone it will say “Contacting your car, this may take a few minutes”. Mine never says that unless, of course, VisibleTesla isn’t running on my computer at home for some reason, usually the Tesla app just pops right up with location info and all. I can even tell now when VisibleTesla isn’t running at home because I get the “this may take a few minutes” message on my Tesla phone app when my car hasn’t been driven in a couple hours.

Anyway, just a thought. Also, a quick disclaimer – I’m in no way affiliated with VisibleTesla, just a happy user, and the service center crew in no way suggested there is a correlation here, in fact the people I were speaking with had never even heard of VisibleTesla, they kept calling it “Invisible Tesla” haha, so this is completely my own little theory!

I've had sleep mode off (because it keeps losing the current position in the USB favorites playback when resuming from sleep) - and have had long delays in getting software updates. The only update I can recall getting quickly was the emergency update disabling the air suspension.