Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road closures not showing in Nav screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that some multi-day road closures (due to construction) show up in google maps on the iPad but do not show up on the Tesla Nav screen. On the iPad you see a "do not enter" sign but on the Tesla Nav screen you just see the green line as if traffic was normal. I assume this is a known issue and there is no work-around? Really diminishes the value of the traffic info on the Nav display.

Google maps is updated all of the time. Nav is onky updated by tesla when they send out an update to us all. Nav and map on large screen are 2 different animals. Updates for our Nav is No different than any other gps navigation. If you have a gps in a gar,in, navtek, etc... GPS unit, it is only updated when the company puts out an update, and you update it. Why would tesla Nav be any different?

In the current version, the navigation system in the Tesla can display real-time traffic but it doesn't take it into account while routing and calculating arrival times. I believe this "feature" is coming in version 6.

In the current version, the navigation system in the Tesla can display real-time traffic but it doesn't take it into account while routing and calculating arrival times. I believe this "feature" is coming in version 6.

Yes, there is a lot more information available on the Google Maps platform than Tesla is taking advantage of. I think that is appropriate in the early term. They need to choose carefully to avoid overwhelming the visual clarity of the display in a moving car. I am sure they are working this stuff out prudently.

I do hope they can speed up the updating of the offline database that drives the turn-by-turn navigation system (small screen on the dash). I have noticed that many recent road additions or changes are not reflected there. The center console map is often more accurate than the navigation system, resulting in the route directions freaking out when encountering a revised or new roadway.

I just hope Nav Maps are updated soon.
I think, current Nav Maps are at least 4 years old.
My home address, built in 2009, doesn't appear in Nav. Thankfully, Google recognizes my address and passes the lat/lon to Nav, Which gives direction to an address about quarter mile away from my home.
It would be nice, if Nav recognizes my home address.

I apologize if I didn't use the correct terms. What I meant is that in the google map on the large screen which shows traffic info, road closures are not shown. Would be even better for the Nav system to take the traffic into account when calculating the route, but for now I would settle with road closures being shown on the google map so we can take this into account when making our own routing decisions.

My home address, built in 2009, doesn't appear in Nav. Thankfully, Google recognizes my address and passes the lat/lon to Nav, Which gives direction to an address about quarter mile away from my home.

Don't know if this would help but have you reported this to Garmin?

Not sure, How I can get in touch with them. I tried to email them from the website, But "Tesla" Doesn't appear in the Vehicle/GPS Unit list.
I am not sure, if this is Garmin's Tesla specific issue or if All Garmin products don't have my address. I don't have any garmin products, so can't verify it.

I went to the same website and just picked some random product then explained it was actually for a Model S. I don't even know if they are the correct people to contact but thought it was worth a shot.

I went to the same website and just picked some random product then explained it was actually for a Model S. I don't even know if they are the correct people to contact but thought it was worth a shot.

Ok, Let me just select any product and email them, explaining the issue.

I have heard Elon say (at the event in the Netherlands, I think) that the turn-by-turn unit is NOT Garmin.
If not Garmin, Do you/anyone know, which company's product is being used in Tesla?

Maps in systems like Navigon, Denso, etc. are always way behind. Even when you get an update it's only luck if it updates the places where you drive. It's like they have one person in charge of updating the map and he or she has two helpers.

We discovered that the Nav system does not want anyone to drive on I-95, at least not in the Northeast! Driving from NJ to upstate CT over the weekend, it kept directing us to side roads, and when we insisted on I-95 (knowing from previous trips that it was more direct than any other route--just used the nav system to make sure we would not overshoot the Superchargers near Darien), it identified 95 as "unknown road"!! Wow--talk about being behind!