Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

slacker in 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
So, I got 5.9 about a week ago (that usually means the next version is due imminently...) and slacker has different behavior.

While the stuttering appears to be gone, it seems to be replaced with "I give up, next song". I live in an area that has ok AT&T coverage 2 and 3 bars according to the car. Previously, this has lead to stuttering (1-2 second pauses, several in a row was typical). Now, instead of resuming after a few seconds, it just stops playback and, after 3-5 seconds, starts a new song. This happens about every 3rd song. Pretty annoying to be in the middle of a song I like and BAM! next song. Previously, It would give up after a series of stutters. I'm not sure that slacker actually changed but it's behavior sure has. BTW, the service center checked to make sure I had a good connection to the antenna (I did) and could not see anything wrong elsewhere.

Anyone else see this?

I've seen it only a couple of times - not nearly as often as you. What I have seen quite a few times is when getting back into the car, it will continue playing the song that was playing when you left, but then half-way through it it will do what you said - just start the next song, almost as if it was not done buffering before you got out of the car and it wasn't able to go back and get the rest of the song. I do agree though that the stuttering appears go be gone. I used to get that on almost every song at the very beginning of the song.

I see this too, but only when I park and leave the car and it turns off. When I return, about half the time the partly played song will finish normally, the other half it will continue to play for a bit but then stop and skip to the next song.

The other issue that still bothers me since day one (not related to 5.9 per se) is the gaps between the songs. Why can it not download the next song in the background so there is one ready to play once the current song ends?

I see this too, but only when I park and leave the car and it turns off. When I return, about half the time the partly played song will finish normally, the other half it will continue to play for a bit but then stop and skip to the next song.

The other issue that still bothers me since day one (not related to 5.9 per se) is the gaps between the songs. Why can it not download the next song in the background so there is one ready to play once the current song ends?

I think that is because they have to pay royalties - it reduces their costs. They probably figured out that it saved them something like 2%.

I'm having the same issues, i.e., song on start up often cuts out and there's also an increase in songs cutting out mid drive. Slacker in 5.9 is definitely the worst performing for me since buying the car. That said, it's just an annoyance at this point and I haven't taken the car into the SC to try and address yet.

I mentioned this to the SC on my last visit and they said Engineering is aware of the issue and are working on it, so hopefully we'll see an improvement in future software releases.

Well, I'm a bit skeptical of any sentence that has slacker and improvement in it. The sum total of their changes to date has been to reverse the location of artist and album. Actions indicate it's about the lowest item on their priority list.

I have a similar experience, where Slacker just can't find a song for 10-20 seconds, or it starts a song and then just ends it and skips to another song. It's really irritating, so I don't use it much (usually just when the kids are in the car). I always have assumed it's the crappy AT&T coverage that I have in my area so Slacker just can't connect until I get better coverage, but it happens pretty regularly, even when I have 2-3 bars. And yes, we just give up sometimes and switch back to radio.

I'm not the biggest fan of Slacker. There's lots of genre selection, but it's too much like Pandora where we can't pick our artists. I much prefer Spotify and wish that were integrated into the car in a future update. I often stream Spotify from my phone but the sound quality isn't as good as if it were coming from the car.