Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the grand opening of the Corte Madera showroom yesterday evening and while there a Tesla employee mention that there was going to be a supercharger in Truckee at some point. When you go to the map and go all the way to the end of 2015 it still does not show anything in Truckee. Could he have some inside info?

The "End of 2014" map at teslamotors.com anticipates I-80 Supercharger travel between Northern California and SLT, using Superchargers at Roseville and (I would guess) Lovelock, NV, Elko NV and Toole, UT. Trouble is, going from Roseville to Lovelock would be a real stretch in an 85, especially eastbound/uphill, and impossible in a 60. Same for Elko to Toole. What that route would need, and what the Supercharger map doesn't show, is a Supercharger at Truckee or Reno, and another at Wendover NV/UT. Wendover isn't much, but if TM can put a Supercharger in Primm, NV (recently reinstated as a coming-soon location) they can put one in Wendover.

The "End of 2014" map at teslamotors.com anticipates I-80 Supercharger travel between Northern California and SLT, using Superchargers at Roseville and (I would guess) Lovelock, NV, Elko NV and Toole, UT. Trouble is, going from Roseville to Lovelock would be a real stretch in an 85, especially eastbound/uphill, and impossible in a 60. Same for Elko to Toole. What that route would need, and what the Supercharger map doesn't show, is a Supercharger at Truckee or Reno, and another at Wendover NV/UT. Wendover isn't much, but if TM can put a Supercharger in Primm, NV (recently reinstated as a coming-soon location) they can put one in Wendover.

I think Tesla will fix the 2014 map as they find sites along I-80. I agree that Wendover is essential since there is nothing between there and Salt Lake City.

I think Tesla will fix the 2014 map as they find sites along I-80. I agree that Wendover is essential since there is nothing between there and Salt Lake City.

Tesla has a long history of "throwing darts" at a map from Palo Alto without careful consideration, then figuring out the details and schedule later.

For example, the current map shows nothing on I-70 east of Denver in the "coming soon" view, and then the "end of 2014" view shows something on the eastern border of Colorado and then maybe Hays, KS. These are too far apart for reasonable travel. In fact, Limon, CO; Goodland, KS; and Hays, KS are under construction now; this is a reasonable spacing happening now, rather than the unreasonable spacing predicted for the end of the year....

Ok all you doubting Thomas'. I just talked to someone in the know with the Gateway Donner Pass shopping center and he has heard of ongoing development there with Tesla. He asked if I owned one and laughed. I told him I didn't know how the parking situation would work in a already overcrowded lot, but he said they would be along Frates road in the northwest corner so they are that far along! Looks like I wont need a 14-50 in my house up there after all!

Ok all you doubting Thomas'. I just talked to someone in the know with the Gateway Donner Pass shopping center and he has heard of ongoing development there with Tesla. He asked if I owned one and laughed. I told him I didn't know how the parking situation would work in a already overcrowded lot, but he said they would be along Frates road in the northwest corner so they are that far along! Looks like I wont need a 14-50 in my house up there after all!

Nice sleuthing! Looking at a satellite photo, it looks like the parking spots on the west side of Safeway (behind Verizon Wireless and Great Outdoor Clothing) might not be in very heavy demand.

@S-dog I am one of the doubters ;-) but am very happy to hear that news!

@emupilot, nice work! The permit description is "INSTALL SUPERCHARGING STATION FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES CONSISTING".

That does sound like a Tesla Supercharger. I wonder why it isn't shown on the Tesla SC map as a location?

I look forward to more good news soon.

Found the permit application! It's #B14-00310, application dated 5/20/2014, at the Safeway. Here is the main Building Reports site for the Town of Truckee. They have weekly reports of permits issued (nothing as of last week), so we can check each week to see when it is approved.
Nice job, excited to see Truckee is real. It will make it so much easier to do North Shore.

This is probably a Charge Point J1772 installation.
Safeway has installed quite a few. Here is an example PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!
Um... NO.

The permit description is "INSTALL SUPERCHARGING STATION FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES CONSISTING".
I think that is pretty conclusive.

In addition, the engineer on the application is from Overland Park, KS which also happens to be where the world headquarters of Black and Veatch is.

Last edited: