Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Call: Child in Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on my way with the family for a little trip and stopped at Tim Horton's for some coffee. I opened the trunk and gave my son some juice while sitting in the rear facing seats. On my way, I got a phone call from the Ottawa police asking for my location. Some one called the police reporting that I put my kid in the trunk! I asked the officer to google Tesla Model S with rear facing seats. The officer understood the situation and thanked me for the explanation.

I honestly got pissed! Seriously, every time I put my son there, there are people staring at me until they see the seats and laugh about it, but now, it's getting serious...

I'm putting the booster back tonight when I get back.

Anyone faced a similar experience?

Understand that it was maybe annoying but if your son was being abducted and someone called the police, you'd be so grateful. Two sides to every story.

This. I have the rear seats and have also received some very odd looks. Sometimes it's funny to watch people react when my son opens the hatch from the inside and climbs out.

As annoyed as I would be if someone called the police on me, I'd rather people report suspicious behavior when I child is involved vs turning a blind eye.

Don't stop using your 3rd row seats over this. That would be a bit silly.

I was on my way with the family for a little trip and stopped at Tim Horton's for some coffee. I opened the trunk and gave my son some juice while sitting in the rear facing seats. On my way, I got a phone call from the Ottawa police asking for my location. Some one called the police reporting that I put my kid in the trunk! I asked the officer to google Tesla Model S with rear facing seats. The officer understood the situation and thanked me for the explanation.

I honestly got pissed! Seriously, every time I put my son there, there are people staring at me until they see the seats and laugh about it, but now, it's getting serious...

I'm putting the booster back tonight when I get back.

Anyone faced a similar experience?

Same thing happened. My car got circled by 3 police cars last summer. They thought I kidnapped some kids according to some eyewitness. Grrr..

Are we missing an entire generation of people who never saw those 60's-70's stationwagons with the rear facing seats in the back? Like these?

station-wagon.jpg

Reactions: Nick B
Really a difficult subject. Child abductions are unfortunately a real issue, I see many public announcements here in the LA area about them. At the same time you really don't want to deal with the L.A. police department when they think you have abducted a child and stop you.

Really a difficult subject. Child abductions are unfortunately a real issue, I see many public announcements here in the LA area about them. At the same time you really don't want to deal with the L.A. police department when they think you have abducted a child and stop you.

The police in Canada "in general" are friendly from my experience. I've lived in Alberta years ago and now in Ontario and I like them; my phone call with the officer went smoothly and I didn't have to explain myself other than saying a few words. The officer even apologized in case of any inconvenience.

I must be missing something, but I don't see how putting a kid in a rear facing, 5 point harness kid seat could possibly equate to kidnapping in anyone's mind. Weird.

Probably someone just caught a glimpse from a distance of child being lifted into the back and the trunk closing so it caught their attention. Then they watched the vehicle drive off and it caused more concern given the look of the vehicle and from a distance you couldn't see the kid buckled into a seat. I applaud the person who called the police. There's not much worse for a parent than an abducted child.