Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can smell gasoline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
Now that I've spent the vast majority of my vehicle life in the past 7 months in my Model S, when I ride in a gasoline powered car, I can smell it. I could always smell the gasoline at the pump or when other cars that are improperly maintained spew noxious gases on the road. But now, just riding in a gasoline car or walking by a gasoline powered vehicle, even when not running is far more noticeable than before. I occurred to me that the collective we have gotten used to the rather nasty smell of gasoline powered cars since we grew up with them in our lives. I have to wonder what health effects come from close inhalation of unburnt or partially burnt hydrocarbons now that I'm more sensitive to it. I think there is some parallels with smoking - it was so prevalent before that the smell was something that people got used to and accepted. Now, it is really a stinker to walk by an building entrance where people are smoking. There's now a social economic divide with smoking. I wonder when in the future we'll reach that point with BEVs vs. ICE.

Now that I've spent the vast majority of my vehicle life in the past 7 months in my Model S, when I ride in a gasoline powered car, I can smell it. I could always smell the gasoline at the pump or when other cars that are improperly maintained spew noxious gases on the road. But now, just riding in a gasoline car or walking by a gasoline powered vehicle, even when not running is far more noticeable than before. I occurred to me that the collective we have gotten used to the rather nasty smell of gasoline powered cars since we grew up with them in our lives. I have to wonder what health effects come from close inhalation of unburnt or partially burnt hydrocarbons now that I'm more sensitive to it. I think there is some parallels with smoking - it was so prevalent before that the smell was something that people got used to and accepted. Now, it is really a stinker to walk by an building entrance where people are smoking. There's now a social economic divide with smoking. I wonder when in the future we'll reach that point with BEVs vs. ICE.

Agree, once the balance tips in favor of EVs, I think ICEs will be derided as "smokers" and be increasingly ostracized the way cigarette smokers are increasingly banned from smoking in public places. Eventually, some public parking garages will be "non-smokers only" because of the air quality in an enclosed space plus other unsanitary things like oil stains on the floor. I am buying a new house and will have to put a mat under my girlfriend's ICE to prevent stains on the new garage floor until she can get her Model X. I told her her car needs diapers.

And OMG how about being behind a diesel! PHEW!!!
runaway.gif