Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

During a recent service battery swap received an A pack???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85 vin p186xx was capable of 120kw supercharging. Then during a service visit apparently they swapped my pack to an A pack. Couldn't charge more than 90kw today. Has this happened to anyone before??

ouch. I would take it right back and leave it with them until they swap it back with a B pack. go right up the food chain if you have to. take a pic of the label if you can and post it on here too.

the service centers seem to not be aware of the difference between batteries.
They didn't know about it when I asked ~2 months ago. Thought I was asking about Supercharging ability in general.

This has been my experience as well. My service center did not confirm to me until a few weeks ago that I had a 90-kW A pack despite having opened a technical diagnosis session with engineering several months earlier in which they took the car to Hawthorne. Results of the test were that they were unable to reproduce the issue.

Tesla makes no representations to anyone about the type of battery that ships with the car, other than the kWh capacity. If you read your warranty documents, you will see that Tesla only offers a reconditioned battery pack if it needs to be replaced. As such, I don't think you have much leverage.

Seriously Amped? Based on the OP's VIN he got his car way, way after the May 120kwh announcment. You've said before that anyone getting their car before the 120kwh announcement had no right to complain. Now you're extending that even to people that got their car after the May announcement?

You're apparently Tesla's personal white knight on this issue. Jumping into any and every thread and telling people how they have no right to expect 120kwh, apparently no matter when they purchased (or will purchase in the future, presumably).

Tesla makes no representations to anyone about the type of battery that ships with the car, other than the kWh capacity. If you read your warranty documents, you will see that Tesla only offers a reconditioned battery pack if it needs to be replaced. As such, I don't think you have much leverage.
As a warranty claim they should be replacing like with like. If you took it in because your fog lights weren't working and you got the old version instead of the new one you probably wouldn't be happy, or got the non-folding mirrors, or any number of other things. They've made improvements over time, and although you have no reason to expect an improvement over what you had, you definitely have a case to expect you won't be downgraded (That said, someone with an A pack that's being replaced under warranty has no right to a B pack, if they get one great, but if they get another A, that's perfectly fair)

First step is to confirm that's actually what happened, I believe you can actually see a label on the pack to check? If so, take it up the chain as far as you need to, they have no right to replace a part with an inferior one under warranty (I'm pretty sure it's actually against the law)

Seriously Amped? Based on the OP's VIN he got his car way, way after the May 120kwh announcment. You've said before that anyone getting their car before the 120kwh announcement had no right to complain. Now you're extending that even to people that got their car after the May announcement?

You're apparently Tesla's personal white knight on this issue. Jumping into any and every thread and telling people how they have no right to expect 120kwh, apparently no matter when they purchased (or will purchase in the future, presumably).

No, no, no... I agree that OP should get a B pack or better. Of course I do, as I would be pretty ticked off in this same circumstance. To feel otherwise would undermine my opinion on this subject altogether. I'm sorry if I misspoke, let me clarify. All I was doing was simply tying together Tesla's public stance on the issue with their warranty language. It was just an assessment of the OP's chances given what Jerome has said on the subject combined with the warranty language. That doesn't mean I would take this position or agree with it. I just think Tesla has hunkered down on the whole A vs B pack issue, publicly anyway, and trying to get them to budge is going to be a daunting task.

But I agree with the rest of you. In the future I will try to be more clear. I write the way I think and speak, which is sometimes in short bursts of thought without much context.

Ah, ok Amped, thanks. I'd gone straight to incredulous, but I understand what you're saying now.

In this case, I don't think Tesla has much choice but to put in a B pack. They can't remove items you paid for, which in this case the OP bought a car with Tesla touted 120kw charging capacity. If I took in my car with a problem with the fog lights, it wouldn't be acceptable for them to just remove them (I've got an early model with them, later models came without them).

They can't remove items you paid for, which in this case the OP bought a car with Tesla touted 120kw charging capacity.

There are some on this forum that would argue that Tesla never "touted" 120 kW SpC. Rather, they argue, the May announcement simply said it was in beta test mode with no promise or expectation set that anyone would ever experience it. I totally disagree with this argument, but couldn't resist pointing out the flaws in it at such an opportune moment. The OP has every right to expect a B.

There are some on this forum that would argue that Tesla never "touted" 120 kW SpC. Rather, they argue, the May announcement simply said it was in beta test mode with no promise or expectation set that anyone would ever experience it. I totally disagree with this argument, but couldn't resist pointing out the flaws in it at such an opportune moment. The OP has every right to expect a B.

Well his car was delivered with a B pack. People made that argument for people who had cars delivered with an A pack.

Tesla's super charger website says 120kwh under the colored bars comparing 30A, 40A, and supercharging.

Tesla's super charger website says 120kwh under the colored bars comparing 30A, 40A, and supercharging.

Indeed it does. So I suppose their argument is just in relation to the May announcement, at which point the supercharger page did not tout 120 kW charging. At any rate, I disagree with that argument as I believe every Model S owner interpreted TM's statement as applying to their car. Thus, at the very least, the announcement set a false expectation and was misleading.