Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am readying a letter to my local rep here in Missouri, but I can't make heads or tails of the actual bill. That said, can anyone point me to a good response letter (I have been searching the forums as well) that would read a tad better than... "wah... that's not fair you big meanie!"? :)

Mods, Merge with thread of same title

We are working on that. Were posted at basically the same time.

d11d1c516380d1c6ed3da36170911e6e4c7c3683a178d1573d9f56f12fe6a193.jpg

Merged. Demanding crowd here... two identical posts one minute apart, and within five minutes someone is asking for a merge.

Somehow I think the slimy dealer lobby is going to try and pull this stunt in every state in the union...

Digging thru the bill.

Change here
3. For purposes of this section, "franchisor" shall be deemed to include any manufacturer of new motor vehicles which establishes any business location or facility within the state of Missouri, when such facilities are used by the manufacturer to inform, entice, or otherwise market to potential customers, or where customer orders for the manufacturer's new motor vehicles are placed, received, or processed, whether or not any sales of such vehicles are finally consummated, and whether or not any such vehicles are actually delivered to the retail customer, at such business location or facility. Accordingly, for purposes of this section, "new motor vehicle dealership" shall be deemed to include any business location or facility as described in this subsection.
4. In enacting subsection 3 of this section, it is the express intent of the legislature to prevent any manufacturer of new motor vehicles from circumventing the public policy as stated in section 407.811, by engaging in methods of retailing new motor vehicles which are designed to avoid the provisions of sections 407.810 to 407.835.

Wow!!!. I tried to get the exact verbiage for 810 and 835 but got lost in all the sections. Talk about protecting your business. You would not believe the types of things that are set up to protect existing franchises in Missouri.

example
In determining whether good cause exists for establishing an additional franchise, reopening a previously existing franchise, or relocating [an additional new motor vehicle dealer] a franchise for the same line-make, the [court] administrative hearing commission shall take into consideration [the existing] all relevant circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) The size and permanency of the investment and obligations incurred by the existing franchisees of the same line-make in the relevant market area; and any damage that such existing franchisees may suffer from the establishment, reopening, or relocation of a franchise into the relevant market area;
(2) The effect on the retail motor vehicle business and the consuming public in the relevant market area;
(3) Whether it is injurious or beneficial to the public welfare;
(4) Whether the [new motor vehicle dealers] existing franchisees of the same line-make in that relevant market area are providing adequate competition and convenient consumer care for the motor vehicles of that line-make in the relevant market area, including the adequacy of motor vehicle sales and qualified service personnel;
(5) Whether the establishment, reopening, or relocation of [the new motor vehicle dealer] a franchise would promote competition; and whether the benefits to the public and the franchisor from any such increased competition outweigh the harm to the existing franchisees in the relevant market area;
(6) Growth or decline of the population and the number of new motor vehicle registrations in the relevant market area; and
(7) The effect on the reopening or relocating [dealer] franchisee of a denial of its relocation into the relevant market area.

Looking for the Free-Market here!!!

I received confirmation from Tesla if this bill passes Tesla owners would have to have their cars serviced out of state and new customers would have to buy out of state.

This of course would result in the closing of the service center in St. Louis, costing 15 very good people their jobs and would prevent the opening of the service center in Kansas City.

Full document here
http://files.meetup.com/6175892/Tesla%20Impact.pdf

Gotta love the job creators doing this. This really goes too far. It's bad enough stopping any new stores from opening up but sending 15 good people packing isn't right.

Last edited:
I am readying a letter to my local rep here in Missouri, but I can't make heads or tails of the actual bill. That said, can anyone point me to a good response letter (I have been searching the forums as well) that would read a tad better than... "wah... that's not fair you big meanie!"? :)
Send every Missouri legislator this essay by three bureau directors of the Federal Trade Commission-- the experts in competition and consumer protection-- which comes down strongly against state laws blocking direct sales of cars.
Who decides how consumers should shop? | Federal Trade Commission

Things are really getting F'd up.

Someone needs to point out to these people (NADA and the money behind it) what happens when you get too blatant in your tooling of normal folks. A small revisit of the French or Bolshevic Revolutions should give them an idea. Sure, the circumstances were significantly different and the scale can not be compared but there is only so much money can do to people before the people decide they have had enough.