Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Mt. Washington Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had so much fun last year at the Mt. Washington Tesla Meetup in June that I was excited to go again this year. It turns out Daniel is not going to be able to organize asn event this year so I got in touch with the Mt. Washington folks to see what we could do. Daniel suggested combining a Tesla meetup with the Mt. Washington Alternative Energy Summit.

There are a couple of options either way and I wanted to see if we would have anyone interested this year.

Option 1: Combine the Tesla meetup with the Alt Energy Summit Sept 13 & 14.
- The Mt. Washington folks suggested we could do a group drive Sunday evening. I didn't know how that would work with people trying to get back home for work on Monday morning
- I suggested a Saturday group drive. They said OK, but it would have to be during the day with other vehicles being showcased at the event

Option 2: Do our own group tour up the Mt. Washington Auto Road on a different date (we did a sunset drive last year. We could do that again or do a daytime drive).

Thoughts? A show of hands if interested in either option or some other option?

Last edited:
I think we are better off planning for earlier, like June... The weather is better, and I've been to the top of Mount Washington multiple times, and never had good visibility. September is just asking for trouble, the summit could have snow by then. I'm go for a summer drive, during the day is better, I'd like to actually SEE the view :)

Might be worthwhile to contact the Supercharger team and see when the Portsmouth/Kittery SC might be opening as well.

I seem to remember about 30 miles of range to summit, and gaining back about 8 miles on the way down.
It all depends on how often you apply the brakes on the way down :)
Last group trip we came down in the pitch black, fog, etc. was "exciting" to say the least, a daytime trip would be better :)

Just curious...

How much energy (rated miles) does it take to get up to the top?

How much is recaptured via regen on the way down?

I was told you needed 40 to get to the top last year. I just had 40 left at the base (poor planning on my first road trip). I used it all and got down to 0 then "Charge Now" at the top. I had gotten about 11 back on the trip back down. Some who were not as low as I was claimed to have gotten 20 back on the way down.

And I agree that one charger at the base is not enough for everyone (especially after waiting last year). I would also plan to stay in a cabin in an RV park and charge there. It is much more convenient and fun for the kids too. I remember someone saying the Twin Mountain KOA was possibly interested in hosting a Tesla group. It might be a good opportunity to see if they are serious. Mitch and I and others stayed at the Tarry Ho! Campground.

I agree coming down during the day would be a little less exciting than coming down in the dark, in the fog, dodging hikers on the autoroad...

santana338 is probably correct, could have been 40 miles of range needed to get to the top, I remember following him, in case they ran out of charge (so they could jump in my Model S and hitch a ride to the top), they arrived with 0 miles showing, thought we'd have to "give it a push" to get it going down, but wasn't needed.. I do remember taking your family back to TarryHo while you waited for the EVSE, then enough range to get back.. Fun times :)

santana338 is probably correct, could have been 40 miles of range needed to get to the top, I remember following him, in case they ran out of charge (so they could jump in my Model S and hitch a ride to the top), they arrived with 0 miles showing, thought we'd have to "give it a push" to get it going down, but wasn't needed.. I do remember taking your family back to TarryHo while you waited for the EVSE, then enough range to get back.. Fun times :)

so much fun I can't wait to do it again. Hopefully I will plan better this time. :wink:

I was told you needed 40 to get to the top last year. I just had 40 left at the base (poor planning on my first road trip). I used it all and got down to 0 then "Charge Now" at the top. I had gotten about 11 back on the trip back down. Some who were not as low as I was claimed to have gotten 20 back on the way down.

And I agree that one charger at the base is not enough for everyone (especially after waiting last year). I would also plan to stay in a cabin in an RV park and charge there. It is much more convenient and fun for the kids too. I remember someone saying the Twin Mountain KOA was possibly interested in hosting a Tesla group. It might be a good opportunity to see if they are serious. Mitch and I and others stayed at the Tarry Ho! Campground.

I agree coming down during the day would be a little less exciting than coming down in the dark, in the fog, dodging hikers on the autoroad...

I've driven up twice, and each time was about 40 up and gained back 20 on the way down. Mt. Washington Auto Road in a Tesla?. I don't think I'll make it this year, but who knows?

I think they only do the group drives at sunrise or sunset. Might be more interesting to just gather and go en masse at midday so there would be some people around who could learn something about Tesla, rather than just talk amongst ourselves. And that would leave more time to charge afterwards, or just get to someplace to charge. I recommend bringing or renting mountain bikes to use on the Mt. Washington bike trail area - I spent an hour there last year while charging.

For those not interested in "roughing it" by camping, Omni Mt. Washington Hotel now has two NEMA 14-50s.

Thanks for the input PeterK. So if you did go, would you have a preference of date? June vs. September or something else?

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the campgrounds. I was advocating them because of the RV NEMA 14-50 outlets they tend to have. We stayed in a cabin while charging and it was a fun experience.

I could do a sunrise drive. That might have better odds of a clear view.

I feel like I've done Mt Washington and would like to do something new. I've been thinking of planning a road rally through a scenic part of VT, ending at a nice place where we could have a fun gathering. For example, Cedar Circle Farm in E Thetford VT is having their annual Strawberry Festival on June 29. We could start there, drive a very scenic route to the Rock of Ages Granite Quarry and visitors' center. Then take a different scenic route back to another location such as Lake Fairlee for canoeing, kayaking, walking trails. There are three 70/80A chargers within about 5 mi of the farm. It's about 150 mi from Boston.

I feel like I've done Mt Washington and would like to do something new. I've been thinking of planning a road rally through a scenic part of VT, ending at a nice place where we could have a fun gathering. For example, Cedar Circle Farm in E Thetford VT is having their annual Strawberry Festival on June 29. We could start there, drive a very scenic route to the Rock of Ages Granite Quarry and visitors' center. Then take a different scenic route back to another location such as Lake Fairlee for canoeing, kayaking, walking trails. There are three 70/80A chargers within about 5 mi of the farm. It's about 150 mi from Boston.

Yes!

Great idea Henry! Would this be a day trip then?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to make that particular date, but that's my issue. If we weren't going to be out of town, I'd jump on this.

Great idea Henry! Would this be a day trip then?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to make that particular date, but that's my issue. If we weren't going to be out of town, I'd jump on this.

It could be a day trip, especially for you coming from Manchester, even with 40 kWh. Or you could stay overnight at one of several local bed and breakfasts or a campground/RV park. Unfortunately the closest RV parks have very few 240v outlets. I'm sure others can be found but don't know.

The date is still up in the air. The Strawberry Festival is quite popular at the farm on that day with live music, fresh organic strawberries, horse-drawn hay rides, great food and more. It would be a good way to expose clean transportation to a lot of people at a fun event. But I haven't talked to them - it's one of their bigger events and they may already have their hands full that day.

So it does NOT sound like there is a lot of interest in doing another Tesla group on the Mt. Washington auto road this year. Maybe it is because this forum doesn't get a lot of visibility. Anyway, I think I will stop looking to put anything together for a group. If I decide to just go up on my own one weekend I'll post here to see if anyone wants to join me.

Otherwise I look forward to exploring Vermont with hcsharp and any other adventures anyone wants to propose!

I would be down for a trip this upcoming weekend. If there is people still interested, send me a message, perhaps we can plan a day trip on Saturday, regardless of the short notice.

You guys should definitely go this weekend - Mt. Washington Auto Road is hosting their annual Alternative Energy Summit coinciding with National Drive Electric Week.

National Drive Electric Week Event - Gorham

Schedule | ALT Energy Summit presented by NH Electric Cooperative

Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America | New Hampshire Energy