Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning Message "Car Needs Service Call Tesla Service"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I get this message coming home tonight on the instrument cluster "Car Needs Service Call Tesla Service". I call Tesla Service and am told I don't see anything. I will download the logs and forward them to your service center tomorrow. "You SHOULD be ok to drive the car"... Should.... Honestly this is the first time I have ever felt concerned to drive the car.

Any one have any ideas or thoughts? I don't want to get stuck on the side of the Highway driving in tomorrow.

TIA,
Earthdog

I love the fact that they told you not to and you did anyway lmao.

Since the message came back there is probably a minor issue, I wouldn't worry about and just drive your car only when needed. If it was something major you would have a message that says pull over, or stop driving.

I've had this pop up when there was sticky syrup on the touchscreen that made it think someone was touching it constantly. When I called service and asked them to look in the logs, they asked whether I had multiple USB objects plugged into the USB ports, or whether I was using a microfiber cloth to clean the screen.

My recommendation - try to clean the touchscreen and see if it clears things up. Otherwise, they'll have to pull the logs to see where the fault is.

I've had this a number of times. Customer service suggested it could have to do with having a flash drive plugged in, but it has also happened with it unplugged for several days. When I get it, the screen is unresponsive and must be rebooted and is usually fine for days or weeks after. I am going to keep a log of each time it happens from now on.

I had this happen on Saturday. Got a call back from the Austin service center on Monday. Apparently it had something to do with the cooling pumps and its communication back to the computer. They said there's no issue with driving the car either but suggested I bring it in to get it looked at. I guess the first generation cooling pumps had some communication issues after the latest update. A few hours in and everything was complete. I must admit I was nervous driving the car with the alert despite the assurances that it was perfectly fine to drive. Still getting used to the car.

Shaunjo,

That is what mine ended up being too. They can't get me an appointment at the SC to fix until 5/29.

I had this happen on Saturday. Got a call back from the Austin service center on Monday. Apparently it had something to do with the cooling pumps and its communication back to the computer. They said there's no issue with driving the car either but suggested I bring it in to get it looked at. I guess the first generation cooling pumps had some communication issues after the latest update. A few hours in and everything was complete. I must admit I was nervous driving the car with the alert despite the assurances that it was perfectly fine to drive. Still getting used to the car.

I got the message while Supercharging on a hot day.

When it was serviced they found one of the cooling fans was disconnected (maybe it had never been connected, since was the hottest day and hottest Supercharging since I got the car in December). They reconnected and it was fine afterwards.

This is certainly strange, I got he exact same issue a week ago.... Maybe it is the weather making the cooling pumps go out? They told me they had to order a new cooling pump and would call me when it came in (still no call...)

I got the screen message last weekend, and was scheduled for service yesterday. I called and the SC said they received a diagnostic code for my car, and yes, it was one of the three circulation pumps that had "dropped efficiency". SC said the other two pumps compensate, and it was absolutely fine. Service ticket said replaced pump. We are not near hot summer yet. In fact it snowed last night...:cool:

The same happened to me after the 5.9 upgrade. I was 180 Km away from home when I got the " car needs service" message. Tesla told me that it was a cooling pump that needed repair. I drove home and got it fixed the next day.

Same story with Tesla wanting to upgrade a cooling pump. The next morning, they picked it up at my office, fixed the pump, installed the new titanium plate, did the annual service, washed the car, and returned it to my office with time to spare. Very nice.

This happened to me today. Visited sis and on my way home, the center screen (and only center screen) popped up with a "car needs service" message. I promptly stopped and headed back to my sister's in case it was something bad. Center screen was unresponsive. I did a reboot and everything went back to normal, so I drove home without a problem. Now I wonder if it will act up again for mothers day.