Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eco Hitch Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it has been covered but here are some shot after the painful install of my eco hitch.

As I plan to leave the receiver in place I am thinking of covering the hole with a 1/4" rubber mat and seal it around the hitch with rubber gasket material or similar and I should still have access to disconnect the bike rack.

I am debating how to hold that rubber in place Glue is the first choice but although I don't plan on taking of the hitch gluing seems so permanent
The second Idea is industrial strength Velcro.
and the third adhesive magnets

Any ideas would be welcomed

IMAG0137.jpg
IMAG0138.jpg
IMAG0140.jpg

Last edited:
You may find that the hitch hits bottom often (driveways, etc). That scares me, and is why I keep mine off except when in use. I guess if you are using it a lot, this may not be a good option.

PS: I like your plate. I cannot believe they allowed it!

A few shots of the finished project the hitch will remain on the car so I got the one that drops down when I need to load the boot
The camera view is rather obstructed but livable
The license plate may be an issue it is unreadable from the back I will let you know if I get pulled.
Now tomorrow I see how much it is gonna affect the range and how it performs at 80mph

Hitch Rear View.jpg
Hitch Side 1.jpg
Hitch Extended 1.jpg
Hitch Exteded w Trunk Open.jpg
Hitch Exteded w Trunk Open side view.jpg
Cervelo  Mounted 1.jpg
Bike Mounted 2.jpg
BNike Mounted Side View2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Get spray foam insulation and close up the hole. If you need to get back in just tear out the foam. It's waterproof and can be trimmed and painted if necessary. $5

The foam may be an option but it is a really large opening and foam is extremely messy behind the hole it is space... lots of it

Not happy with the access hole around the receiver I used two pieces of aluminum squares cut around the receiver (25c each from the Depot) and held in place with 3M high tack double sided tape.

This still gives me easy access to remove the hitch and if I ever want to remove the receiver I can just pull them off and get a couple more.
It is not water tight but will keep debris and any water that splashes up from a wet road out.

The photos are kinda funky as you see a reflection from the aluminium back to the camera

Before
IMAG0137.jpg

After
IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

Last edited: