Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of power lift gate retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bump...

I am curious whether you ever had Tesla look into this retrofit and what other people have had retrofitted. I didn't get the tech package either but have been talking to Tesla about some of the features that I would like to retrofit. I was surprised you could get the "passive entry" package retro-fitted for so cheap, which gave non-tech cars the ability to unlock on touch with fob in pocket. Having it done this Friday for only $250! I am not sure if it will give me the auto-present and auto-lock, but heres hoping!

I also got quoted for DRL upgrade for $2600! This one doesn't seem worth it to me as it really is more about looks than functionality. I am not sure if its hardware only or firmware, but also thinking I could pick up new headlight assemblies on eBay for much cheaper.

As for navigation, this could be a cheap one depending on your setup. If you have the premium sound, its just a software update for $1000 (as reported by someone on TMC), but if you don't have premium sound, you need to spend $6000 on a new 17" computer. I am not even sure if that includes the $1000 software update for navigation, I pretty much stopped asking about that one after hearing $6000 :)

Again, I am curious what others have found out they could retrofit. I am interested in driver profiles, given that the seat hardware is the same across all models. I would think its just software to control the memory of the seat and mirror positions.

I still don't think $3750 is worth all that stuff I wouldn't use...but if I could get navigation for $1000, passive entry for $250 and driver profiles for another $250-500? I think that would have been a great deal (given you already got the premium sound package). I really think Tesla should go a-la-carte with these tech options to begin with.

• Funny
Reactions: Thomas Allen
I just bought a used Model S without tech package. It's about a year old and seemed to have some tech package features like unlock on touch, DRL, premium interior lighting, driver profiles for seats (but not mirrors). I realize Tesla has changed options and packages often, so I was pleasantly surprised.

The only thing I really miss is lock on walk away. If there is any way to retro fit that, please let me know.

I just bought a used Model S without tech package. It's about a year old and seemed to have some tech package features like unlock on touch, DRL, premium interior lighting, driver profiles for seats (but not mirrors). I realize Tesla has changed options and packages often, so I was pleasantly surprised.

The only thing I really miss is lock on walk away. If there is any way to retro fit that, please let me know.

This seems pretty consistent with what I have heard from non-tech pre-10,000 VINs. The DRL and premium lighting used to standard and driver profiles came with leather/perf seats I think and the unlock on touch seems to just be a freebie because of the way they were built in the early cars. This was one of the reasons I skipped the tech, thinking the touch to unlock was there for non-tech as well.

I am curious what actually ends up being installed for this one, it sounded like antennae and firmware. I am also not sure what state it will be in after this upgrade, if its like a pre-10,000 VIN non-tech like yours, or if it will include auto-present and walk-away. For $250, I am happy if it's the former and very happy if its the latter :)

I pinged my Service Center in Dallas about it this week, and I was told liftgate installation is not something they can do at this time but they would put my name on their list of people interested in this retrofit. I think SCs typically provide feedback to HQ on the most-requested retrofits (right now, conversion from 3G to LTE is the hot one - I just had that done).
So perhaps this can become an option in the future. Especially if enough people ask for it. It may be pricey, though, because it probably involves installing a wire harness that was left out at the factory. I can see the rubber grommet where mine would have gone in - but I can imagine labor is going to be significant in a retrofit where a wire is installed to run from there to wherever it needs to connect. :(

Last edited:
I would think its the two struts, the liftgate module and then the autoliftgate button next to the handle when open. Oh and some instructions...

Does anyone here have all the part numbers and the service manual?
I thought only the right strut is motorized and the left strut is the same in manual vs. power liftgate vehicles?

In case it helps anyone, the parts replaced for my strut knocking sound were:
- LIFTGATE POWER STRUT RH (6006610-00-B) x 1
- NIFCO TRIM CLIP 12733 (1011813-00-A) x 1