Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

URGENT - Model S required for event this Sun (11 May '14)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am organising a combined Gliding Open Day this Sun (11 May '14) and it has evolved to include electric vehicles under the strap line of "Fly & drive without an engine".

It looks like we have
  • A Leaf - definitely
  • A Zoe - confirmed
  • A Roadster - hopefully

Now all I need is a Model S (also open to offers from other types)

If you would like to show off your Model S and can bring it to near SN8 3RJ on Sun between (10am and 4pm) I will treat you to a FREE flight in a glider (worth £30) with an experienced instructor over the beautiful Wiltshire countryside. You will also get the opportunity, under tuition, to fly the glider.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rob

I could turn up in a Roadster and like the idea of a trip in a glider. (weather forecast seems a bit grim for Sunday though ..)

Is it the intention for EVs to take people out for a ride to experience them ??

As for getting a Model S, the only ones currently in the UK are a limited number of sales cars owned by Tesla UK, so I think the chances are of one are slim unless you can persuade them otherwise ..

Is there the possibility of being able to charge whilst parked up ? Ideally a 240v 32amp blue 3 pin "commando" type outlet would be good...

I could turn up in a Roadster and like the idea of a trip in a glider. (weather forecast seems a bit grim for Sunday though ..)
Everyone is welcome so please feel free to turn up anyway. It would help if anyone thinking of coming indicated so on the facebook event page. It would also allow us to let you know in the unlikely event of it being cancelled completely.

Is it the intention for EVs to take people out for a ride to experience them ??
This is quite difficult as it is an operational (grass) airfield. It depends on a number of factors. However, if we are not flying for a while then yes - slow speed drives are possible.

As for getting a Model S, the only ones currently in the UK are a limited number of sales cars owned by Tesla UK, so I think the chances are of one are slim unless you can persuade them otherwise ..
I did think that, but wasn't sure.

Is there the possibility of being able to charge whilst parked up ? Ideally a 240v 32amp blue 3 pin "commando" type outlet would be good...
The airfield does not have mains power and the generator is noisy, so not preferable. However, if you are really stuck then we could have it on for a while. Not sure of connector availability. Might be going to field tonight, so will check then.

Robert is having problems posting and asked me to confirm the open day will go ahead regardless although a decision on gliding will be made on the day. I will be there in my Roadster.

As luck would have it I've only just received his PM, but we would not have been able to attend due to a minor emergency this morning :-(

Hopefully its been an enjoyable event for those attending, and if another one is planned I'd be interested to go along.