Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would it hurt Tesla to put one J1772 Port at every Supercharger location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be good public relations for Tesla to put one J1772 port at Supercharger locations. Roadster owners could charge as well as other EV drivers just as a matter of support for traveling EV drivers. Some nominal fee could be charged if necessary, less for Roadster owners than others but it would be worth the cost of the EVSE just for the general good will.

Don Zacher

That would be stupid. Tesla doesn't even use the crappy J1772 handle. I don't understand why a company would be expected to support somebody elses vehicles. Makes no sense.

It would be good public relations for Tesla to put one J1772 port at Supercharger locations. Roadster owners could charge as well as other EV drivers just as a matter of support for traveling EV drivers. Some nominal fee could be charged if necessary, less for Roadster owners than others but it would be worth the cost of the EVSE just for the general good will.

Don Zacher

Besides the issue of paying for electricity for your competitors, the main the problem is parking.

Some supercharger are already ICEd or Full of Teslas. Adding a bunch of Leafs and Fiats and I3 to the mix would make things really bad.

Besides the issue of paying for electricity for your competitors, the main the problem is parking.

Some supercharger are already ICEd or Full of Teslas. Adding a bunch of Leafs and Fiats and I3 to the mix would make things really bad.
If there's enough parking to set aside an additional space or two for J-1772 cars, then this could be good advertising. Mere LEAF owners like me would, while benefitting from Tesla's magnanimity, have plenty of time to observe the superiority of Supercharging up close. A high-power J-1772 could also be used by Tesla owners while waiting for a free Supercharger, if they are all busy.

By the way, I once charged my LEAF at a high-power J-1772 that was partly sponsored by Tesla Motors according to the signage. There's a string of them at Rabobank locations on the Central Coast of California, pre-dating the Highway 101 Superchargers.

I think it is a great idea. My understanding is that one of the reasons New Jersey would not allow Superchargers on I-95 or the Garden State Parkway is because it would discriminate against owners of other EVs at a public facility. Silly rationale, I agree, but there it is. If the problem could have been addressed with the offer of a couple dedicated J-1772 spaces, I think it would have been a good move. As great as it will be to have Superchargers in Hamilton Township and Edison, having them on the main arteries would have been even better.

And what better way to market the advantages of a Tesla to those who already own an EV than by letting them see Teslas zipping in and out of the Supercharger with full packs while their BMW i3/i8 are charging at the painfully slow rate (by comparison) offered by a J-1772?

Don Zacher

The problem with this is superchargers are for long range travel, if an EV other than Model S is using it, that means it would be there for hours using up space. On top of that, superchargers have a charge capacity and these J1772s will use up that capacity slowing down charging.

On top of that, I don't think Musk even wants to support the current other EVs as he sees them all as "compliance cars". The whole point is to motivate other manufacturers to make better EVs. He also said he doesn't believe in charging a fee and that if he licenses out the superchargers it would be a 1 time cost.

As far as roadster goes, didn't roadster also have their own special 70A connector? But again having them stand there for 4 hours would kind of defeat the purpose of the supercharger.

The J-1772's would need their own parking spaces, it would not interfere with SuperCharger stall usage. As far as the voltage is concerned, if only 480VAC is available, a step down transformer to 240V at the maximum rated KVA for the J-1772s would be needed, or a seperate utility transformer.

If there's enough parking to set aside an additional space or two for J-1772 cars, then this could be good advertising. Mere LEAF owners like me would, while benefitting from Tesla's magnanimity, have plenty of time to observe the superiority of Supercharging up close. A high-power J-1772 could also be used by Tesla owners while waiting for a free Supercharger, if they are all busy.

By the way, I once charged my LEAF at a high-power J-1772 that was partly sponsored by Tesla Motors according to the signage. There's a string of them at Rabobank locations on the Central Coast of California, pre-dating the Highway 101 Superchargers.

Those might have been converted HPCs donated by Roadster owners? It's a decent idea but as others said they would have to be additional parking spots and not block access to Supercharging.

Yep, those were converted HPCs, donated by Roadster owners. It's all part of the Tesla Highway that Roadster owners built, long before there was any talk of Superchargers. :)

- - - Updated - - -

As far as roadster goes, didn't roadster also have their own special 70A connector? But again having them stand there for 4 hours would kind of defeat the purpose of the supercharger.

Most of us have a J1772 adapter, since it's rare to find an HPC in the wild these days. And any of us who have taken road trips (and most of us have) deal with how long it takes to charge. I'd hate for that to be the reason that would keep us from charging. The nice thing about superchargers is that there are restaurants and shopping nearby - not always true for other charging locations.

Most of us have a J1772 adapter, since it's rare to find an HPC in the wild these days. And any of us who have taken road trips (and most of us have) deal with how long it takes to charge. I'd hate for that to be the reason that would keep us from charging. The nice thing about superchargers is that there are restaurants and shopping nearby - not always true for other charging locations.

There are what 2500 roadsters? and shrinking.

Rolling out these charge stations for roadsters doesn't make sense. A more simple solution would be to let Roadster owners upgrade to newer batteries that can handle supercharging.

There are what 2500 roadsters? and shrinking.

Rolling out these charge stations for roadsters doesn't make sense. A more simple solution would be to let Roadster owners upgrade to newer batteries that can handle supercharging.

Simple but very expensive. You could give everyone who doesn't have one a J1772 adapter then roll out access controlled J1772 stations where only Roadster owners could use it for much less.
Would love to have a Supercharging Roadster though.

Yep, those were converted HPCs, donated by Roadster owners. It's all part of the Tesla Highway that Roadster owners built, long before there was any talk of Superchargers. :)
Here's a photo of the sign (courtesy of PlugShare) at the Rabobank J-1772 in Goleta, CA, where I charged my LEAF:
35737.jpg

I could be wrong regarding the chargers at Rabobank, but I believe this was part of an old network of EV charging stations, the first connected network, not built by the above listed group ... all seems a bit disengenious. Time marches on. History is rewritten.

If Tesla is going to be installing L2 infrastructure, it'll likely be HPCs so that Model S can use them to free up superchargers. Only chance for it to be J1772 is if they want to support the Roadster also, but it's iffy if Tesla wants to support non-Tesla vehicles. If Tesla wants access control (without needing a separate electronic system), they could also have the standard Roadster HPC with a Model S adapter chained to it.

As another Leaf driver, I would also like to see more J1772, but that doesn't necessarily mean Tesla should pay for them or locate them at SCs. IIRC, many SCs are located on someone else's property. Thus, the property owner may notice that Tesla owners spend money at these businesses. Once they realize that there are "other" EVs that cannot SC (in fact more non-Tesla PHEVs than SC-capable Teslas), then they may install some J1772s. Here in WA State, the Chademo installations were initially required to include a 7 KW J1772. I know that many Tesla owners have benefited from these J1772s and will continue to do so sporadically (at least until the Chademo-Tesla adapter is available). All that said, it is two charges for my Leaf to reach the nearest SC. I probably won't be traveling that way again in my Leaf. Yes, technology moves on and I don't expect Tesla (or any newer tech charging station) to provide charging support for my Leaf (just like I don't expect support for my Win95 machine that still plugs along running spreadsheets and word processors).