Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - How is your Wh/km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking back I could not find a listing of W/KM usages for Canada.

I see various posts where owners are getting 175 W/km but I have never been able to achieve this. I normally drive on the 401 at around 110-112 km per hour and in 80km zones roughly 10% over the limit.

I'm from southern Ontario and my lifetime average to date( 4 months) is 227 w/km over 12000 KM. Even last weekend I went to Orillia using HWY 12 and could only get 220 w/km. I kept it at a reasonable speed and the battery pack was warm before we left.

I have the 21" turbines and a S85. I would like to see other peoples averages if possible. Please post your car and tire sizes too if possible.

I track my monthly averages in a notebook and will keep posting over the summer to see if this improves.

Looking back I could not find a listing of W/KM usages for Canada.

I see various posts where owners are getting 175 W/km but I have never been able to achieve this. I normally drive on the 401 at around 110-112 km per hour and in 80km zones roughly 10% over the limit.

I'm from southern Ontario and my lifetime average to date( 4 months) is 227 w/km over 12000 KM. Even last weekend I went to Orillia using HWY 12 and could only get 220 w/km. I kept it at a reasonable speed and the battery pack was warm before we left.

I have the 21" turbines and a S85. I would like to see other peoples averages if possible. Please post your car and tire sizes too if possible.

I track my monthly averages in a notebook and will keep posting over the summer to see if this improves.

If I'm not mistaken, Wh/km = Wh/mile ÷ 1.667

Mine is 214 Wh/km but I have an S60 (which is supposed to be more efficient). I felt the same way after I read all the numbers in here and I have a mix of highways and city (since I took delivery on April 11th).

Is there a way to get the full history from the car? I've trapped the last 900 km in one of the counters, it's showing 232 wh/km. My dailiy commute has a couple of big hills so I expect this has an effect. If I'm just cruising at 100 km/h on flat(ish) highway it gets below 210 average, if I recall correctly.

There's a charging station at a shopping center near home. I've used the station and the drive home is 5 km of almost constant uphill, some of it pretty steep. I'll get in the area of 750 wh/km "since last charge" for that trip!

I've averaged 189wh/km since last August with just under 20000km. For the first 3 months or so, until the cooler weather came, I averaged 154. The battery heat really kills the range on short trips, but if you switch to "range" mode the battery heat will not come on until -10C or so, saving that big initial hit on most cool days. The disadvantage is that regen is reduced or nil for a much longer time and power may also be reduced. "Range" also limits heater output.
If you can time the charge and preheat to be completed just at departure time, the battery will be warm to start and probably won't need heat. Also regen will not be limited as much if at all. Even with these techniques, the cold will really increase consumption, especially for the first few km.

Curious why they replaced your touchscreen. How long ago? Did you notice if there was design rev. change?

It was replaced in early 2013, due to a hardware problem (unreliable booting). Yes there was a revision change.

I've been avoiding resetting the Trip B ever since I bought the car, but replacing the screen caused a reset in the low 4,000's. So I don't have data for the first couple of months.

The Ranger that came by last week affectionately calls the Signatures "Snowflakes", because every one is unique! Nice break from the routine of working on nearly-identical production cars, I guess. Must be a bit of a headache for the firmware people, though.

There's been more than one revision to the touchscreen since I got my replacement. They were on a pretty quick update cycle for the hardware in the early days, and I'm sure they're still doing "continuous improvement".

A suggestion for Tesla: give us access to the lifetime energy usage (Wh/km or mile) stat rather than having to rely on the erasable trip odometer. They could have a separate stat page for us technical types.

I find the lifetime energy used very useful in getting across to potential buyers and naysayers how little the driving costs are. For example my car has used about 10MWh of energy for 15 months of driving 44K km which has cost me about $1200. Knowing my cars energy usage also allows me to compare it to my solar panel production of 6.5 MWh. I need a few more panels or need to shovel off the snow in the winter to come closer to offseting my car's use with the amount I drive!

All these statistics are close. The average consumption of the 85 is close to the 60, which makes me wonder: how can the 60 achieve more milage given the battery difference. I will share some calculations and I would like someone to correct me if I have a mistake somewhere:

The difference between the 60 and the 85 is 60/85 ≈ 0.706
Given the EPA range of the 85 = 425km
0.706 * 425 = 299.99999 ≈ 300km; yet, the S60 has an EPA range of 334.7km ≈ 335km, so we can safely say that the 60 is 11.67% more efficient than the 85. In numbers, if the average of the 60 is 200Wh/km, the average of the 85 should be 223.34Wh/km. But on the statistics screen, the EPA rated average line is still 200Wh/km for both batteries (according to some screenshots I've looked at). What did I do wrong?