Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Plan in Canada - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
I bought the 4 years service plan and just noticed that I only have 2 days left to decide on the "4-YEAR EXTENSION" for another $2,000. What is everyone else doing? pairtrader, gpetti, mayhemm, and others -- Are you buying 4 years, 8 years, nothing? Do these cars really need service? 4 years made sense but do I need another 4? Help!

I also got the 8 years, before the price increase as well. In my mind, there are lots of expensive things in this car that i would rather not have to pay for later. If just one thing goes wrong, you may have been better of buying the plan. Things such as door handles, compressors, coolant pumps, air shocks (non wear), etc could be costly.

I didn't get the service plan though. I don't think that is a big deal.

Agree with MacLeod and Morristhecat.

Given it's a new company, new car, lots of new tech, and winter conditions in Canada (? long term corrosion), IMHO the 8 year plan is well worth the price.

As well, look at the cost of replacement parts reported by the owners who have had an accident...

Thanks everyone. I was asking more about extended service rather than extended warranty but your replies have convinced me to skip the $2,000 for another 4 years of service (I already bought the first 4 years) and instead put that towards the $4,100 cost of the extended warranty. I have until the end of the warranty to decide that one but only until tomorrow to decide on the extended service.

Just wondering, how much was the extended warranty before the price increase?

I have had my MS for almost a year now and I have yet to bring it in for any service. It's at 11,000km. I don't have a service plan. Do you guys really think it's necessary to have routine "service" at this point given that I would have to pay for this?

I chose to pay up front for service, extended, and ranger purely for peace of mind, especially since a) live a ferry ride away from the service centre, and b) we'll be taking looooong trips and will therefore be covered should anything amiss occur. I get to just put it out of my mind.

However, as the thousands of Model S's get cranked out and we are hearing quality control continues to improve, the value of prepaying does seem to reduce over time. So Tesla seems to have thought through an ultimate mind game for customers: a) do I pay more (usually more than double more) for this car than I have ever paid for a car in the past? And then once you have completed the a) quest, you get hit with b) do I prepay for service for a car that could very well be
serviceless?

[At least the product is so damned good it completely heals the brain from its trials. Or maybe it's not healing, it's just the direct electric current to the pleasure centre overrides everything else.]

So back your question, is it worth it... well, I really like the peace of mind. I'm actually hoping that's all I'll get out of it. So far so good.