Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corning NY Supercharger?... (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never thought the "dot" placement on the coming soon SC map was meant to be that accurate, and just assumed it would be in Binghamton. That way people on 81, 88, and 86/17 could easily access it. Ithaca would be a bit out of the way for all of those routes.

I thought they were connecting destinations before building at destinations? Seemed a good strategy when I heard it...

I vote for one in Erie, one at Hornell (or Bath/Hammondsport), and one in Binghamton. That would cover access on effectively all NY interstate highways besides I-90, which is already covered.

What's your thinking on what makes the Hornell/Bath 17 triangle better than the Corning 15 triangle? That make striking distance to Buffalo? Corning make Erie a fail?

Where does it take you going south on 15?

I was thinking that if we are also getting Binghamton and Ithaca, we don't need Corning, as it would be too close. Also that Hornell ties in I-390 up to Rochester, and provides access to the southern tips of Keuka, Seneca and Cayuga via Bath/Hammondsport when approaching from the West on I-86.

I never thought the "dot" placement on the coming soon SC map was meant to be that accurate, and just assumed it would be in Binghamton. That way people on 81, 88, and 86/17 could easily access it. Ithaca would be a bit out of the way for all of those routes.

Totally agree with your logic and assessment, but all of the other dots I have tracked were ultimately quite accurate, and that dot is absolutely on Ithaca.

I think whether Ithaca goes in or not is kinda irrelevant. Its a bridge to nowhere, a destination.

I absolutely agree they'd be nuts not to have one near/in Binghamton. Again...

I thought they were connecting destinations before building at destinations? Seemed a good strategy when I heard it...

What's your thinking on what makes the Hornell/Bath 17 triangle better than the Corning 15 triangle? That make striking distance to Buffalo? Corning make Erie a fail?

Where does it take you going south on 15?

Not sure Hornell gets you deep enough into PA. But maybe Corning doesn't reach Erie or Buffalo?

That's where I was coming from, how far can you get from Erie or elsewhere in PA. Maybe Salamanca, NY would be better, as you can reach it from Cranberry supercharger, 186 miles up I-79 and over on I-86. And you pick up the 219 traffic from Bradford, PA and points South. From there it is 143 to Ithaca or 186 to Binghamton...second being kind of a long stretch.

Totally agreed that Ithaca is a destination charge...but since I frequently go there, I think it is a worthy and welcome one!

I think that while it'd be great to have one in Ithaca as a destination charger, it'd make more sense to put one in Binghamton first as it would still service access to Ithaca from the highly trafficked southern route, while also making trips from Ithaca more convenient (there is no comfortable route from Ithaca to NY/NJ/SE PA right now). Ithaca is significantly out of the way for anyone not specifically heading there.