Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcadman22

Tesla Owners Club Maryland
Apr 21, 2012
Wheaton, MD
After updating to firmware v5.9 I have had several instances where the car is loosing its network connection. In all cases, the center screen displayed at least one bar of 3G service, but album art, maps, Slacker, anything requiring data, ceased functioning. I have noticed that the issue arises after the car has been sleeping, but I have not been able to determine any pattern beyond that. For example, I've had it happen first thing in the morning transitioning from home wi-fi to 3G and yesterday and today I had it happen when I was out between stops. Yesterday I rebooted the center screen two times to restore connectivity. Today I went out to the car after 30 mins. while my daughter was at a party and there was no Slacker or map connection, but it resolved itself after the next sleep cycle before we left.

It's been happening for a few weeks now and had just been annoying until yesterday when I really needed the nav to find my next destination (thus the two reboots). Note that I live in DC Metro area so connectivity is pretty good - not great, but in all cases my iPhone (on AT&T network) has had connectivity. Hmm, that just made me think of one other thing it might be. My iPhone 5 is on LTE while the car uses 3G. I think I'll send a message to ownership to see if they have any more info. In the meantime, does anyone knew of a workaround for this that doesn't involve pulling a fuse to reset 3G?

We have experienced similar connectivity problems, but before 5.9. Symptoms: maps do not update at all or very slowly; satellite background image shows but roads do not not show. In some cases, the maps do not completely fill in and large white blocks are presented instead. In addition, connectivity via the Tesla app has been impacted. The loss of connectivity via the Tesla app appears to be coincident with the map problems. The Tesla app connectivity problems are not phone operating system dependent -- we have seen the same problem with Apple IOS and Samsung Android. On April 21 we had our MS in for its first annual service at the Rockville service center and I described this problem to the service team. When I returned to pick up our car the following day, the service sheet described the problem as a "'GPS Antenna Issue", and further informed me that the problem was referred to engineering for resolution. I haven't heard back from Tesla yet so don't know the resolution. As part of the annual service, we updated to 5.9. But the problem has continued, at least from the navigation map perspective --- a few times the maps haven't updated in a timely manner or show blocks of white. I haven't experienced an issue with the Tesla app since then, but have only tried once or twice so I am reluctant to asset that problem has been corrected.

I followed up with Tesla after the annual service via their request for service center feedback and mentioned that I had not heard back regarding the connectivity issue. Nothing heard in response yet.

BTW, I don't consider this a shortcoming with the Rockville service center. They did a tremendous job with the other service items. On this particular issue, they referred the problem to Tesla engineering. So we are now waiting for a response from Tesla engineering.

After one year of ownership, we remain very satisfied with our purchase and still believe this is the best vehicle purchase we have ever made. Hope this connectivity issue gets resolved soon.

Updated to 5.9 about 4-6 weeks ago. On one occasion data service disappeared and was fixed with a center screen reboot. I got the "bluetooth needs service" message once and that, too, was fixed with a reboot. I have had more than once instance of my phone (iPhone 5) connecting when I get in the car and then "disappearing" within about 30 seconds. It reappears and connects in a couple of minutes. None of these has moved past the minor annoyance stage yet.