Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvaged VIN #531 on ebay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some pics from when it was at the salvage yard:
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-04 um 21.11.52.png
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-04 um 21.11.57.png
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-04 um 21.12.09.png
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-04 um 21.12.20.png

So, I bought this car!

I just got it home tonight, pretty cool ride, its my first Tesla and it didn't come with a charging cable, I have J1772 charger at home and obviously that doesn't work... My first step is getting a charger so I don't end up with a dead pack, its on the low-side right now as it sits in my garage.

The car seems to be in relatively good shape, interior needs only the 2 airbags replaced, all of the drive-train components are fine and functional, most of the front end electronics are there. Seems to be missing the horn, A/C condenser/fan assembly, windshield washer reservoir and has a broken harness for the brake-vacuum. Those things plus the cosmetic plastics and body panels is all this is gonna need to be a rocking roadster again! Oh, and the windshield too.

If anyone has any sourcing information for parts and/or wiring schematics or body panel schematics for the front end, I'd be very grateful for your sharing!

+1 on "The Can". I have the original adapter and awkward is an understatement.

Good luck on the rebuild project. You're definitely going to need the air conditioning running, as it's part of the battery pack cooling system.

So, I bought this car!

I just got it home tonight, pretty cool ride, its my first Tesla and it didn't come with a charging cable, I have J1772 charger at home and obviously that doesn't work... My first step is getting a charger so I don't end up with a dead pack, its on the low-side right now as it sits in my garage.

The car seems to be in relatively good shape, interior needs only the 2 airbags replaced, all of the drive-train components are fine and functional, most of the front end electronics are there. Seems to be missing the horn, A/C condenser/fan assembly, windshield washer reservoir and has a broken harness for the brake-vacuum. Those things plus the cosmetic plastics and body panels is all this is gonna need to be a rocking roadster again! Oh, and the windshield too.

PULL the fuse on the ESS ASAP if you want to save the pack.

I wouldn't even attempt to charge it without the condenser and cooling all in place, nor do I think it'll charge (as Doug mentioned) which I'm sure the charge system will thrown an error in order to protect itself.

Also the front right wheel is hitting the cabin, so I suspect you have front suspension damage where the wishbone is bent back, so make sure to take a good look in that area and the components.

Happy to see you're restoring it, will be a blast when its back on the road!

Last edited:
I agreed with Wiztecy, to pull the ESS shunt/service disconnect to prevent over discharge over time.
If you have issues later on getting the car to not charge and the voltage drop is starting to make you freak out about bricking your pack. I can give you steps on how to manually charge/balance each brick (or sheet, slowly like @1A), without having to remove the ESS from the car.

Wow, so many great responses, you guys are all awesome and so positive!

When I got it at the salvage yard they actually had it plugged in b/c they have a charger they bought on ebay (its a 120V), when it was plugged in it was charging so it seems the charger is alright with the current damages, they had it plugged in overnight before I got there so with the 120 that isn't a ton of electricity but it was something...

I have a couple questions, I noticed on the PEM and Battery pack they have tags with SN, etc. and they both say "Remanufactured", I would imagine this means they were replaced at some point (probably under warranty?), does anyone have a sense for whether the Reman ones are any good? (in my mind it means the battery has less then 24k miles on it, which seems like a good thing, but I don't know how many miles it is)

My other question is about the battery cooling system, I don't see any coolant pipes running from the front to back (but its so tight it may not be easy to see), are we sure the HVAC fans/condenser/evap are integral to the PEM/Battery pack cooling? I wish there were schematics somewhere I could see so I know how to put it all back together.

I found most of the parts I need (including the condenser/fans assembly) at a shop out East, I've purchased them and they are shipping them to me, so should be able to start reassembly this upcoming weekend!

PULL the fuse on the ESS ASAP if you want to save the pack.

I wouldn't even attempt to charge it without the condenser and cooling all in place, nor do I think it'll charge (as Doug mentioned) which I'm sure the charge system will thrown an error in order to protect itself.

Highs in Phoenix have been around 107-108 all weekend and that is supposed to continue for the next 7 days or so. What would you guys recommend the OP do to protect that battery from this heat?

With a cool down cycle around sunrise this AM my pack got down to 68 F degrees. It's at 95 F right now after sitting around all day. I'll run a Cooldown once off peak hours start at 7pm. The OP does not have that option unfortunately.

Highs in Phoenix have been around 107-108 all weekend and that is supposed to continue for the next 7 days or so. What would you guys recommend the OP do to protect that battery from this heat?

With a cool down cycle around sunrise this AM my pack got down to 68 F degrees. It's at 95 F right now after sitting around all day. I'll run a Cooldown once off peak hours start at 7pm. The OP does not have that option unfortunately.

It should be fine - heat doesn't have much of an effect at low SOC. I'd avoid charging it above 50%, both to avoid heat buildup during charging and high SOC.

I have an MC240 that works with my Roadster 1.5 that I am going to send to the OP for use with his salvage Roadster 2.0; he can at least do some trickle charging (3-5 Amps) that should not need any cooling.

Do any of you know of issues using an MC240 with a 2.0? It works fine with my 1.5; I dusted it off and gave it a test yesterday.

I have an MC240 that works with my Roadster 1.5 that I am going to send to the OP for use with his salvage Roadster 2.0; he can at least do some trickle charging (3-5 Amps) that should not need any cooling.

Do any of you know of issues using an MC240 with a 2.0? It works fine with my 1.5; I dusted it off and gave it a test yesterday.

I was told by Tesla that the MC240s (I assume the 30A one from a NEMA 14-50) is incompatible with Roadster 2.X. When we bought my wife's 1.5 from CPO last year, they were still providing 240V charging and it was when they started to run out of the UMCs... However they dug up an old MC240 for us as they said it works fine for 1.5, just not 2.X Roadsters.

Is there a difference between the MC240 and the MC240-1? I saw on another posting about Tesla reworking the MC240 to be compatible w/ 2.0 for them and I noticed on the side it said MC240-1. I wonder if that means the -1 is compatible?

Where is the ESS fuse?

Just out of curiosity, which set of pictures of this car represent the condition it was in when you received it? The photos included in Marco's post above appear to show more front end damage than the ones included in the Ebay ad. Did someone do some initial front end work on it and then abandon the project?

I was told by Tesla that the MC240s (I assume the 30A one from a NEMA 14-50) is incompatible with Roadster 2.X. When we bought my wife's 1.5 from CPO last year, they were still providing 240V charging and it was when they started to run out of the UMCs... However they dug up an old MC240 for us as they said it works fine for 1.5, just not 2.X Roadsters.

I wonder what is funny about the 2.x Roadsters? The electrical interface is supposed to be a simple J1772, analog handshake. It's hard to imagine a compatibility issue, but...

The unit that I have is an MC240-1. See pics below.

Is there an owner of a 2.x Roadster in the Boulder/Denver area who would be willing to do a compatibility test before I send this unit to Phoenix?

MC240 Lable1.JPG

MC240 Lable 2.JPG

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, which set of pictures of this car represent the condition it was in when you received it? The photos included in Marco's post above appear to show more front end damage than the ones included in the Ebay ad. Did someone do some initial front end work on it and then abandon the project?

I agree, appears someone tried fixing it, put a new crash box in, pulled the right wheel forward. I'd be cautious of that, any suspension failure is serious, and make sure you you have it professionally looked at when you're complete. This is the common theme on Salvaged Roadsters. Buy at an insurance auction dirt cheap and then mark up 2-3x the price by removing some of the damaged parts and putting back a few low cost parts to hide the major damage/collision areas. I would try to get as much info from the seller / previous seller on the changes as Fluke mentioned in the pics.

Last edited: