Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking, some electric cars have the charging port in front, such as the EV1, RAV4EV, the new Nissan EV, etc.
And some have it on the side near the rear, like the Tesla Roadster, Smart ForTwo EV, Mitsubishi's i-MiEV, etc.

So which do you prefer?

Where will it be on the model S?

I would think it would be most convenient to have the charging port in the front, since it would be closest to the chargers at parking lots, and closest to an outlet at home for those who don't have a garage.

3426054114_43d4658570.jpg

The current concept vehicle has it on the side. I think somewhere on the front makes the most sense. In addition to what johnr mentioned, it also prevents one from having the charging cable sticking out into traffic when parallel parked.

I'd sure prefer the front end, maybe hidden behind a logo or the license plate (realizing some people won't have a front tag. It seems the most inconspicuouos if you need to leave it plugged in in a public place where a prankster might want to unplug you for the fun of it.

Also, a dual plug charger could more easily accomodate 2 cars if it's placed b/w and in front of 2 parking slots. Even in my home garage the cord would be much less in the way in front b/c it's less likely someone will trip over it on the way to get into the car.

I've always hoped there would be multiple charging port locations. I can see the advantage of having ports hidden behind fold down license plates when charging at charging stations. On the other hand, an overhead ceiling mounted power box with a pull down retractable cable that plugs into a port near the top of the car or trunk would be nice for garages (and keep the cables off the floor and out of the way when the car is absent). I don't see why a given vehicle couldn't have all three.

High-current charging takes pretty thick and heavy copper, I wouldn't want the extra weight in the Roadster. The stated reason for the position is that you see it every time you get in/out of the car, making it harder to forget to plug it in or unplug it.

My only beef is that the MC120 charger needs additional strain relief on the car side to keep the cable off of the paint. I've been thinking about wrapping something extra around there to help with that.

I feel that the charging port is in the correct place on the rolling test Model S but it would be nice to have second port somewhere on the car.

One thing to keep in mind that a second port will add weight to the Model S and weight is an enemy to EVs. Along with that, an indicator should be included on the dash showing the "S" is being charged. Just my two cents.

Long ago it was suggested that the Roadster have identical charge ports on both sides. It was looked into but by that time there were too many things to change by then.

The best charge plugs are located in the front and back of a car.

Last edited:
The best charge plugs are located in the front and back of a car.

Amen. It looks to me like the location in the picture is really meant to be similar to where a gas tank would go. That made some sense on the Roadster because they were riffing on the Lotus body, but for a brand new design why not have the plug in the most logical spot, which is the front and/or back of the car?

The stated reason for the position is that you see it every time you get in/out of the car, making it harder to forget to plug it in or unplug it.

I agree, that's a serious issue right there. If they had it anywhere away from the driver's side door, they would need to have an interlock on it, preventing you from moving the car if it was plugged in. Should be simple enough, and perhaps they've already done this. But without such an interlock -- no way.

Tangentially, supposedly the J1772 standard was going to get voted on this week at an SAE meeting, but I haven't heard yet what the result of that was.

Last edited:
I agree, that's a serious issue right there. If they had it anywhere away from the driver's side door, they would need to have an interlock on it, preventing you from moving the car if it was plugged in. Should be simple enough, and perhaps they've already done this. But without such an interlock -- no way.

Tangentially, supposedly the J1772 standard was going to get voted on this week at an SAE meeting, but I haven't heard yet what the result of that was.

An interlock would need to be there with any plug placement. If you want to alert the driver then put a little alarm on the driver's door that beeps if you open it with the car still plugged in.

IMO priority for the charging port should be charger placement convenience, and by that standard the front center is the most universal.

Easy peezy.

The Roadster does not work with the car plugged in.

Another advantage
nozzle.jpg
hose.jpg
to gasoline powered cars.

Charging Port Door Location

I realize this is speculation on my part, but after looking at the Alpha build displayed at the Detroit Auto Show, I believe the location of the charging port is going to be either the front panel driver's side (a la Volt) or the front grill (a la Leaf). I don't think the charging port will be located at the Driver's side rear panel as we have seen in past photos of the S.

My reasons:

1. Location of the electric motor is on the driver's side, PEM on the passenger side. If charging were done using PEM, the PEM I think would have been located on driver's side to save on wiring. Locating the charging port on the passenger side I think would not be good engineering practice due to the increased risk of driving off with the vehicle plugged in.

2. Conformity and convenience: Ford, GM, Nissan all have charging ports located either at the front or front driver's side of vehicle; public chargers are located at the front of parking stalls and driving forward into a parking stall is simpler than backing into a stall. Also a passenger side location requires walking around vehicle to plug/unplug after exiting/entering vehicle.

3. Swappable battery design: If you look at the front of the battery pack there is a "hump" with "TESLA" imprinted. I am speculating this is the electronic module that controls the rate of charge to the battery (it may or may not contain the AC/DC converter). The shortest distance to connect the charging port to the AC/DC converter than to the electronic module to charge the battery would place the charging port at either the drivers front panel or the front grill of the vehicle
View attachment 1305View attachment 1306View attachment 1307.

Just some thoughts till we see what Tesla comes up with.

Last edited:
Personally I hope they put the port on the front of the car. It would be a heck of a lot more convenient for garage installation of the power source. We had to run a huge cable down the length of my garage to connect the HPC, and it inconveniently ended up on the far side of the vehicle.

If the port was on the front, the power outlet or HPC could simply be on the back wall of the garage - which in my house, and probably many others, is where the power comes from.

If it was on the very front that would be bad as the nose of the car is too close to the garage wall.

So for my last two garages, the Volts position is ideal. I'm trying to think of a case where a nose mounted port would be preferable but I can't imagine one except maybe in an open parking lot - but even then cars often butt noses. So the charge port just ahead of the driver door seems best to me.

Locating the charging port on the passenger side I think would not be good engineering practice due to the increased risk of driving off with the vehicle plugged in.

I'd be amazed if they didn't do something similar to the Roadster. If the charge port door is opened, you can't move the Roadster, you just get a warning message and it won't switch out of P.

I'd be amazed if they didn't do something similar to the Roadster. If the charge port door is opened, you can't move the Roadster, you just get a warning message and it won't switch out of P.

True enough, however it's never good to rely on a fail safe system to correct a design shortcomming; thus the reason placement on the passenger side should not be considered.

...thus the reason placement on the passenger side should not be considered...

Keep in mind that they sell both left and right hand drive versions for different global markets.
So, unless they move the charge port location too, some of the cars can end up with it on the 'wrong' side.

I've always thought the charge port should either be on the front passenger side or on the nose for curb side charging while parallel parked. KenEE brings up a good point, though. City street parking is often bumper to bumper.

Merging with a similar thread. Be sure to skim above to see what has been said before.

Last edited: