Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring Back the Double Nickel??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was picked up by EV World today. . . .

http://www.alternet.org/audits/52403/

It had to happen some time, and this is probably only the beginning of calls from certain quarters (certainly NOT from the general public) to bring back the national 55 MPH speed limit. And my response is. . .

No.

Wait, let me rephrase that. . .

HELL NO!

The time of the 55 MPH speed limit was the modern dark age of motoring. The USA was a laughingstock to Europe, where they never had anything like it (and apparently got by pretty well without it).

Here in Texas the vast majority of the populace drove 80 MPH on the highway through the whole thing. It was the age of the radar detector. It was also the age of anxiety and fear, as nearly everyone -- by which I mean, everyone who drove at a normal speed -- was subject to being stopped and ticketed at any time, even though they'd done nothing but drive naturally and stay with traffic. State Troopers didn't appreciate being turned into glorified hall monitors either.

I don't have a radar detector. The highway speed limit in Texas is 70 MPH now, and I am comfortable cruising around that speed (and the State Troopers do give us a little leeway). If the 55 MPH limit comes back, there will be much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, followed by greatly increased sales of radar detectors and laser jammers. I'll be shopping.

If the whole rationale for a 55 MPH limit is to conserve gasoline, would I get an exemption for driving an electric car? Somehow I doubt it.

TEG said:
It does save energy...   
I remember a Car and Driver technical investigation during the 55's glory years which found that an increase of 2 PSI in average tire pressures would save just as much fuel as the government estimates for savings from the speed limit.

They offered the specter of Tire Pressure Police!