Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Re: TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
I currently have 21 inch wheels with Michelin Pilots. Tire pressure for this combination is spec'd at 42psi. I am replacing these wheels/tires with the 19 inch TSportline wheels and Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. Tire pressure for this combination is spec'd by Tesla at 45psi.

The TPMS sensors will be moved from my 21 inch wheels to the 19 inch wheels. Do the TPMS sensors need reprogramming for the different tire pressure, or will they self-adjust? Or should I not worry about a 3psi difference.

Thanks

I currently have 21 inch wheels with Michelin Pilots. Tire pressure for this combination is spec'd at 42psi. I am replacing these wheels/tires with the 19 inch TSportline wheels and Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. Tire pressure for this combination is spec'd by Tesla at 45psi.

The TPMS sensors will be moved from my 21 inch wheels to the 19 inch wheels. Do the TPMS sensors need reprogramming for the different tire pressure, or will they self-adjust? Or should I not worry about a 3psi difference.

Thanks

My experience with the TPMS is that they mainly check for different tire pressures in the set. They will grouch when the pressure gets under about 30 psi in any tire, or if you fill them all low and the temp drops, it tells you the pressure is low. It also grouches if the pressure is high.

In my case I asked the tire people to set the tire pressure at 48. The next day, warmer, on the road, the warning came on that my whole set was over 60 lbs. Obviously they filled them to 58 plus or minus, and the heat put them over the limit. I pulled over and bled off all tires to 48, and it's fine. Minor pressure differences are not critical: I had a nail in my tire, pulled it and plugged it, but still a slow leak, like 5 lb per week. Never got complaints from the TPMS unless it got more than 10 lb lower in that one tire. Keeping it checked and within 5-10 lb, no complaints.

Of course, that was 5.8. Don't know what version 5.9 does.

Resetting the TPMS Sensors

Do the TPMS sensors need reprogramming for the different tire pressure, or will they self-adjust? Or should I not worry about a 3psi difference.
This is explained in the Owner's Manual:

Resetting the TPMS Sensors
To ensure accurate tire pressure warnings after replacing one or more wheels, the TPMS sensors must be reset.
Note: When changing to 21" wheels (Performance Plus models), the TPMS may generate false tirepressure warnings. Bring Model S to a TeslaService center for further adjustment.
Note: The TPMS sensors do not need to be reset after replacing a tire or rotating wheels.
Note: Do not reset the TPMS sensors in an attempt to clear tire pressure warnings.
To reset the tire pressure sensors:
1. Inflate all tires to their recommend pressures, as indicated on the Tire and LoadingInformation label located on the driver’s doorpillar.
2. Get ready to drive for ten minutes, then, on the Model S touchscreen, touch Controls >Settings > Vehicle > Tire Pressure Monitor >Reset Sensors.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions.

So, if I understand the above correctly, after the 19 inch wheels and tires are installed and inflated to 45psi, all I have to do is drive the car for 10 minutes and then select the reset sensors option on the touchscreen? The TPMS will then be set for 45psi? Simple procedure, if my understanding is correct. And different from when the car was initially released, wherein the TPMS could only be set by Tesla. Thanks for the info.

So, if I understand the above correctly, after the 19 inch wheels and tires are installed and inflated to 45psi, all I have to do is drive the car for 10 minutes and then select the reset sensors option on the touchscreen? The TPMS will then be set for 45psi? Simple procedure, if my understanding is correct. And different from when the car was initially released, wherein the TPMS could only be set by Tesla. Thanks for the info.
Correct. It's been available since V5.8 software

The link has a place for you to put your car in to determine whether it is compatible with your car. I did that and it said it is NOT compatible with the 2013 Model S. Also changed year to 2014 and got same answer.

Tesla sells TPMS sensors for $98.00 each.

BTW,the link you provided does not say "Fits: Tesla)". Maybe the listing was revised to correct an error. The link does say it works on the Roadster. It does not say (at least it does not now say) it works with the Model S.

The link has a place for you to put your car in to determine whether it is compatible with your car. I did that and it said it is NOT compatible with the 2013 Model S. Also changed year to 2014 and got same answer.

Tesla sells TPMS sensors for $98.00 each.

BTW,the link you provided does not say "Fits: Tesla)". Maybe the listing was revised to correct an error. The link does say it works on the Roadster. It does not say (at least it does not now say) it works with the Model S.

Thank you. I emailed my service center and here is what she said.

Looks like sensors are about $224 ea + tax + labour to program.

Sounds a little high to me??

Check with the SC again. i bought 4 TPMS sensors from Tesla about 6 weeks ago to mount on the 19 inch Tsportline wheels I bought for my P85. Cost was $396 for 4 sensors plus tax. After tires were mounted on the wheels, I went back to Tesla to have the sensors mated to the car to turn off the low tire pressure warning. The SC did this in less than 5 minutes for no charge. This was at the Rockville MD SC.

image.jpg
The original equipment sensors are manufactured by BAO, and we offer for sale at $ 97 each currently (prices subject to change, etc. etc). Our sensor includes the stem with the sensor for reference.

Yes I be leave these are oem from Tire Rack that I just bought. Looking at other pics of oem off tesla pretty sure these are the ones.
image.jpg