Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water accumulating inside trunk hatch lid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeps17

Cath Jockey in a P85
Mar 17, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hello everyone,

Since the return of warmer temperatures we have had quite a bit of rain locally, and after leaving the car outdoors while at work, I found that significant amounts of water would pour out of the trunk hatch when opened, but not from expected places...

- From both round rubber stoppers near the edges of the hatch.

- More concerning to me, from both handles in the plastic molding, especially from the one with the button to close the trunk.

I had my local SC look at the issue last week when my car went in for the battery shield, and I was told they had "sealed some hinges" as per a TSB. It did not, however, seem to do anything. Yesterday I opened the hatch and it looked like I had opened a faucet under the trunk closure button, and some water often comes out on a few subsequent openings.

I have not seen any evidence of water ingress elsewhere in the vehicle.

Aside from a defective pin in the charge port, this has been the only issue that I would consider more that a trivial annoyance after 13 months of grinning / ownership.

I will try to get some video of this when it rains this weekend, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, and if so how it was resolved.

Cheers.

Definitely doesn't sound right. I don't see water infiltration like that at all, so it sounds like a seal or something is off on your car.

Has it been like that the whole 13 months, or a recent development?

I remember someone else posting a YouTube video of water ingress on his trunk lid, too. Not sure what the resolution was. I think it might have been a user here, islandbay perhaps. I'll PM him to see.

Hello everyone,

Since the return of warmer temperatures we have had quite a bit of rain locally, and after leaving the car outdoors while at work, I found that significant amounts of water would pour out of the trunk hatch when opened, but not from expected places...

- From both round rubber stoppers near the edges of the hatch.

I noticed this problem as well in March on my vehicle, after 14 months of ownership.
I also had the additional 'sealant' added via the TSB, but noticed more water pour out about a week ago. I only get water from the passenger side stopper, and it is a small amount. Athough it is a small stream, not drips.

I've got the same issue after washing my car -- water coming out through trunk hatch handles.

I have this problem too, mainly when I park and wash with car nose down in the driveway. If it's pointing up in the driveway, no water can accumulate there.

I just finish by opening the hatch, thoroughly dry, close, and it will drip out a bunch more, then raise it one last time to finish the drying. Never been an issue... yet.

But maybe I should take mine in for a seal check.

I have my Model S since 3 month.
Lot of rain where I leave, but I never experienced this problem.
But this morning I washed my car for the 2nd time (automatic washer), and at lunch my wife showed me there was condensation in the left rear light :

20140516_143702.jpg

And after I come back at work, I opened the trunk, and water flowed from not usual location, as some person here :eek:

20140516_141803.jpg

20140516_141853.jpg

20140516_144204.jpg

I removed the 2 rubber stopper and a big flow of water flowed :crying:

I think the light condensation and water in the trunk are related, I think the water is entered from the left light, there is probably a cutting to integrate the light in the trunk, or at least a hole to enter the cable in the trunk ?
I really don't like to know there is water in my trunk, want to try to remove the plactic molding, and also the light to see if water is entered from here, and why.

Some people here talk about Tesla who changed or added seal, but anyone knows where exactly !? The glass seems to be glued on the trunk ?

I had this problem over the colder months and Service determined the seals were weak and contracting to the point of gapping in cold temperature. They replaced the entire hatch seal and I guess I'll have to wait until winter to see if it's fixed. I saw on the Tesla Forum that someone removed the hand holds from the trunk and shone a light and actually saw the problem. He siliconed the areas and problem solved.

Quick follow-up. I had the car in for servicing this week and this issue was addressed.

However, I am not certain they understand the issue - the repair log states that I noted "heavy condensation in the taillights", whereas I actually reported significant amounts of water coming out of the rubber stoppers and hatch lid hand holds after the car has been sitting in rain for a while. I explained what happens in detail verbally and by e-mail, and even sent them a video to demonstrate... They re-sealed the trunk hinges, and applied a seal to the taillight assemblies.

After the visit to the service center, the car was in a brief but intense downpour, and I noted a few drops of water from the driver's side rubber stopper while opening the trunk, concerning but not enough to conclude repair failure, I will have to wait and see.

NLC, your car has the same symptoms as mine. Let me know what diagnosis you get! (et félicitations pour votre superbe voiture!)

Last edited:
However, I am not certain they understand the issue - the repair log states that I noted "heavy condensation in the taillights",

I hope this doesn't mean that the Service Centre has to select from a menu of only a few standard "problems" when making out the ticket. I'd think, whether or not they actually fixed the problem, the incorrect wording of the repair ticket warrants emails to service and ownership--just to insure that the problem is correctly identified.

NLC, your car has the same symptoms as mine. Let me know what diagnosis you get! (et félicitations pour votre superbe voiture!)

Hello, the water in the trunk and the condensation in the taillights are the same problem, air communicate between the taillights interior and the trunk interior, and when there is water in the trunk, when there is evaporation, there is condensation in the taillights.
The problem comes from the seal between the taillights and the trunk which is not thick enough and not sufficiently crushed. Tesla will change them the next time I will go to the service center, and now I don't wash my car in automatic washer (my problem came because of the horizontal water projection, I have no problem with the rain)