Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jrreno

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2013
Sarasota , Florida
As we have in the past I thought I would create a new thread specific to this Planned Supercharger location.
We have heard of contractor bidding starting on 3/1/2014 and of permit changes 4/4/2014 although I can't seem to find the source for either. Probably just my inability to search properly.
So has anyone heard anything more? Any locals taken a tour of the Lehigh Valley Mall lately?

Just called the Lehigh Valley Mall, was told by the Management office that they have no information on the SpC station, though they are aware that there were talks with the company regarding the station. She had no information available that could be given out. This doesn't tell us much about the status, except that it is less far along than we had hoped.

During this pause for fresh meat, I'm considering these apparent SpC inconsistencies:

1. Onalaska is named 'La Crosse'.
2. Colonie is named 'Albany'.
3. [add to this list]

Yet here we have 'Allentown' being zoomed in as Whitehall. This naming process clearly is failing the 'consistency of small minds' test. And I'm not happy. :smile:
--

Stopped by the Lehigh Valley Mall yesterday afternoon. They have a Public Notice posted on the outer edge of the parking lot across from Boscov's Department Store in the southeast corner of the mall. No activity seen. This and Edison NJ are moving at a glacial pace!

What did the notice say? Did you get a picture?

- - - Updated - - -

Just found this in the Planning Commission agenda for May 21, 2014:

M E M O R A N D U M
TO: WHITEHALL TOWNSHIP PLANNING COMMISSION
PLANNING, ZONING & DEVELOPMENT
RE: PLANNING COMMISSION AGENDA
MAY 21, 2014 - REVIEW SESSION - 6:30 PM
MEETING - 7:30 PM
DATE: MAY 1, 2014

A) SUBMISSION REVIEW
1 INDEX #1853-14 – TESLA MOTORS INC SUPERCHARGING STATION
250 Lehigh Valley Mall
Zoning District – C-2
Major Subdivision Plan
Original Submission Date: 4/21/14
90 Day Review/Expiration Date: 8/19/14

Here is the link:

http://www.whitehalltownship.com/May2014_1.pdf

There appears to be some type of electric charging station being built visible off of Route 309 (Behind Dorney Park). The address is 3400 Broadway. The building has been under construction for months and is adjacent to the Lexus of the Lehigh Valley Dealership.

Anyone know anything about it?

I emailed Whitehall Township regarding the May 21 Planning meeting and received this reply:

"Mr. Reno,
Please be advised that the Tesla Motors application was tabled for the May
23rd Planning Agenda per their request due to the application not being
heard at the Zoning Hearing Board the night prior due to a full agenda."

My guess is this means no construction until July at the earliest.

I saw that they are requesting a zoning variance for this as well...no information as to whether it was granted:

DOCKET # 1789 - Tesla Motors, Inc. c/o Black & Veatch - 3500 Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304. Location: 250 Lehigh Valley Mall, Whitehall, PA 18052, PIN 549871957317, the subject property is located in a C2 Regional/Community Commercial Zoning District. Applicant is requesting a variance to Sec. 27-100 of the Zoning Ordinance regarding frontage on a public street for proposed supercharging station for electric vehicles.

http://www.whitehalltownship.com/MAY%20AGENDA.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

I called and asked, the variance request was continued until next month, it will be on June's agenda.

Whitehall ( Allentown) Superchargers Updates

I emailed Whitehall Township regarding the May 21 Planning meeting and received this reply:

"Mr. Reno,
Please be advised that the Tesla Motors application was tabled for the May
23rd Planning Agenda per their request due to the application not being
heard at the Zoning Hearing Board the night prior due to a full agenda."

My guess is this means no construction until July at the earliest.

For some reason I didn't see your post earlier, when I posted the same info. But now I see your post in my Tapatalk app...very odd!

Agreed we won't see anything until July at least.

PUBLIC NOTICE TOWNSHIP OF WHITEHALL ZONING HEARING | Parkland Press

PUBLIC NOTICE TOWNSHIP OF WHITEHALL ZONING HEARING BOARD PUBLIC HEARING The regular monthly meeting of the Whitehall Township Zoning Hearing Board will be held on June 17, 2014, at 7:00 p.m., in the Public Meeting Room of the Municipal Building, at 3219 MacArthur Road, Whitehall, PA 18052, to hear the following appeals: DOCKET # 1789 - Tesla Motors, Inc. c/o Black & Veatch - 3500 Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304. Location: 250 Lehigh Valley Mall, Whitehall, PA 18052, PIN 549871957317, the subject property is located in a C2 Regional/Community Commercial Zoning District. Applicant is requesting a variance to Sec. 27-100 of the Zoning Ordinance regarding frontage on a public street for proposed supercharging station for electric vehicles. Continued to this meeting at the request of the Applicant. DOCKET # 1790 - Nelson Snyder - 5167 Front Street, Whitehall, PA 18052. Location: 5219 Main Street, Suite 2, Whitehall, PA 18052, PIN 559001071725, the subject property is located in a R5A High Density Residential w/o Apts. Zoning District. Applicant is requesting a special exception to Sec. 27-60 (D) (6) of the Zoning Ordinance regarding changing from one non-conforming use of a retail store to another non-conforming use of a recreational gym. Continued to this meeting at the request of the Applicant. DOCKET # 1791 - ZecLee Properties - 524 Chelsea Lane, Allentown, PA 18104. Location: 5010 and 5012 Washington Avenue, Whitehall, PA 18052, PIN 558090000592, the subject property is located in a R5A High Density Residential w/o Apts. Zoning District. Applicant is seeking to overrule the decision of the Zoning Officer made on March 21, 2014 regarding resubdivision of property and in the alternative, applicant is requesting a variance to Sec. 27-76 E 1 (a) (2), E 1 (b) (2), E 1 (c) (2), E 2 (2) and E 2 (a) purpart 2 of the Zoning Ordinance regarding lot area, setbacks, and lot width for proposed subdivision of a single family detached dwelling into a semi-detached dwelling. Continued to this meeting at the request of the Applicant. DOCKET # 1792 - Dowel-Allentown, LLC c/o Progressive Management - 2 Sylvan Way, Suite 304, Parsippany, NJ 07054. Location: 1053 Grape Street, Whitehall, PA 18052, PIN 549882217007, the subject property is located in a C2 Regional/Community Commercial Zoning District. Applicant is requesting an amendment to a prior zoning decision, or, in the alternative, a variance to Sec. 27-146 (A) of the Zoning Ordinance regarding off-street parking standards. Applicant seeks to amend prior Zoning Hearing Board decision which granted a variance for eighteen (18) parking spaces for a restaurant use. Applicant seeks to amend the prior Zoning decision to clarify and reflect the grant of a variance for eighteen (18) parking spaces, regardless of use. In the alternative, applicant seeks a variance from Sec. 27-146 (A) as it pertains to off-street parking standards and minimum parking requirements. Continued to this meeting at the request of the Applicant. Copies of plans, applications and supporting documents are available for public inspection at the Township Municipal Building. The Whitehall Township Municipal Building is accessible to the physically handicapped. Any person that requires special assistance to understand the nature of the business conducted at the above meeting because of visual, hearing or other impairment, is requested to contact Melissa A. Wehr, Zoning Officer, at least five (5) days prior to the scheduled meeting to arrange for the necessary assistance. Applicants, and all interested parties MUST appear at this hearing to be considered. MELISSA A. WEHR, Zoning Officer May 28, June 4

From the town's web page for the Planning Board meeting June 18.
Sounds like zoning tonight, planning tomorrow night.
Possibly ready to build on Thursday!
-----------------------------------------------------------
MEMORANDUM
TO: WHITEHALL TOWNSHIP PLANNING COMMISSION
FROM: LEE A. RACKUS, BUREAU CHIEF PLANNING, ZONING & DEVELOPMENT
RE: PLANNING COMMISSION AGENDA JUNE 18, 2014 - REVIEW SESSION - 6:30 PM
MEETING - 7:30 PM
DATE: MAY 30, 2014

SUBMISSION REVIEW
INDEX #1853-14 – TESLA MOTORS INC SUPERCHARGING STATION 250 Lehigh Valley Mall
Zoning District – C-2
Major Subdivision Plan
Original Submission Date: 4/21/14
90 Day Review/Expiration Date: 8/19/14

Omg this is like root canal. I have been waiting for this site to be done since I purchased my Tesla S back in November. Still gave to use my ice to get to the airport.

What are the reasons for the multiple episodes of tabling month after month? Any idea when the next domino falls and jf there are ANY more steps needed prior to construction ?