Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting an old gas pump... :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Hi all,

I managed to pick up an older Wayne 70 gas pump in pretty good condition:

10154517_10202796474226192_6211071149694335567_n.jpg

(Globe from the top was removed for transport.)

I haven't gotten it unloaded to look at its innards yet, but am already thinking I could retrofit this with an HPWC or an OpenEVSE... I don't know if I'll ever do it, or if I'll get time, etc., but I want to collect some opinions and perhaps recommended sources of supplies. So, here are some questions I'm debating:

1. Tesla connector or J1772? Tesla is sleek and works without the adapter, but the bigger J1772 might be more like a classic gas nozzle... any particular connectors out there that are high-power and would fit the classic look? I need to see if the Tesla connector will store inside the existing nozzle well.

2. Innards: Tesla HPWC is nice and compact and more likely to fit in the body of the gas pump without significant modification. My goal would be 100% reversible - e.g., I'm considering using the NPT fittings on the pump to connect the power cable. An HPWC would be more expensive, but would have all the parts I'd need. I'd probably have to strip back the Tesla cable or splice it inside the pump with an additional piece of SEOOW.

3. Any other creative ideas? I'm trying to keep it simple so I ruled out an LCD screen that simulated the pump's computer in displaying price / kWh / price-per, etc. Basically, goal would be to light the pump and the rest pretty stock HPWC. But I'm open to other ideas.

This may never happen but I think it might be a cool project.

Reactions: oferrer
Wow, very cool and a great idea. I just might have to steal it. :)

I'd totally find a way to monitor the power consumption, linked to a Arduino or Raspberry PI, and some solenoids or actuators, and make the actual mechanical numbers count up the actual KW and $ used.

As far as connector, I'd just use the standard Tesla connector.

What kind of computer did that thing have? Seems like a rather old pump.

yeah, exactly. No computers in that thing.. just some spinning wheels and gears. In fact, it's probably like an odometer that just has one shaft that turns the 1's dial one number at a time, and then the 10s and 100s rotate based on the 1s. So all you'd need is an actuator or solenoid to turn the 1s dial at the right speed to count kW.

They called it a "computer" because it computed the total based on the price and # gallons... it's a gear-driven device. You set the gas price on the bottom via a set of different gear sizes and it turns the price dials at the correct rate based on gallons pumped. It's a constant-motion sweep-like device, rather than digits "clicking" into place like the pumps from the 70's and 80's. This beast is from the 1930's.

I'm not going to destroy the computer trying to fit actuators to the numbers, because I want to be able to reverse it. So I'd have to create something that could turn the original pump meter... perhaps when I open it up I'll get a better view.

Right. Leave the "computer" alone. Set the price at your cost per kWh. I pay $0.16. Surely you can set it for that. Then just turn the "gallons" dials with a stepper motor if it's a constant sweep device. I don't think you'd have to change all that much.

And in worst case scenario, leave everything alone, and just have a motor turn the gallon dial while charging, just to make it more fun/realistic. So what if the numbers aren't accurate.

But if it were *me*, I'd make it work so the numbers are accurate.

I once had ambitions to do something like that with an old gas pump but I never found the time. Instead, I got a slightly downsized replica antique gas pump and just mounted my J1772 240v station on the back of it so it's largely hidden from sight. I found an image of Reddy Kilowatt through a google image search and inserted that into the fake globe. For those not familiar with Reddy, he was a trademark character used by various U.S. electric utilities during the post WW II era to promote public support for electrification.

Apologies for the low image quality below.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I managed to pick up an older Wayne 70 gas pump in pretty good condition:

View attachment 48446

(Globe from the top was removed for transport.)

I haven't gotten it unloaded to look at its innards yet, but am already thinking I could retrofit this with an HPWC or an OpenEVSE... I don't know if I'll ever do it, or if I'll get time, etc., but I want to collect some opinions and perhaps recommended sources of supplies. So, here are some questions I'm debating:

1. Tesla connector or J1772? Tesla is sleek and works without the adapter, but the bigger J1772 might be more like a classic gas nozzle... any particular connectors out there that are high-power and would fit the classic look? I need to see if the Tesla connector will store inside the existing nozzle well.

2. Innards: Tesla HPWC is nice and compact and more likely to fit in the body of the gas pump without significant modification. My goal would be 100% reversible - e.g., I'm considering using the NPT fittings on the pump to connect the power cable. An HPWC would be more expensive, but would have all the parts I'd need. I'd probably have to strip back the Tesla cable or splice it inside the pump with an additional piece of SEOOW.

3. Any other creative ideas? I'm trying to keep it simple so I ruled out an LCD screen that simulated the pump's computer in displaying price / kWh / price-per, etc. Basically, goal would be to light the pump and the rest pretty stock HPWC. But I'm open to other ideas.

This may never happen but I think it might be a cool project.

Did this ever happen? I am hoping to do something like this soon.

Reactions: HankLloydRight