Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door - rain concern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have any concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

The rear door of the Model S has not been a problem with leaking into the interior when open - the Model X door design actually appears it will provide MORE protection from overhead elements, rather than allow less protection.

Personally I don't worry about this problem, because the water will follow the sealing strip and down to the ground. Although I am not sure can the water gets into the car through the rotating hinge/axis. Hope somebody can tell me.

Personally I don't worry about this problem, because the water will follow the sealing strip and down to the ground. Although I am not sure can the water gets into the car through the rotating hinge/axis. Hope somebody can tell me.

It's sort of like the trunk lid on all cars. Sure, water collects. You open the trunk, water slides off, goes in the gutter around the trunk lid opening, and runs off.

Could also compare it to the rear hatch. Water collects, runs off, into drain system. to the ground. I don't think it will be any huge physical problem to get the water to run off.

It does not follow the hinges.

While I have a lot of confidence in Tesla to get this right, I am reminded of the all-too-true comment by one wit on these boards after a few months of winter weather in 2012: "Everything that's not quite right about the Model S is the result of it being engineered in California." Since it does rain in NoCal, though, I expect that they'll get this right.