Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New IOS Supercharger App For Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SuperchargerQR App For iOS

There have been more than a few threads on this forum and the TM forum about what to do when you get to a Supercharger and the stalls are all full.

What is the proper etiquette? Wouldn't it be nice if you could let the owner of an MS know that his/her car was fully charged and there was a line? Or maybe you notice that a car has mysteriously stopped charging and want to notify the owner.

I thought a lot about the problem. We all want to be good stewards of the SC Network but I don't think anyone is fully comfortable putting their phone number or other distinct contact information out where everyone can see it.

So I came up with an app called SuperchargerQR that solves the problem using QR codes and it made it through Apple review today and is available for download for free from the App Store. My little gift to the Tesla community.

App Store Link: SuperchargerQR on the App Store on iTunes

Screen Shots
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

Blurb from the store description...

"As the number of deliveries of the Tesla Model S grow so does Supercharger congestion. Every Tesla owner seems to want to be a "Good Citizen" when using the Supercharger network but sometimes we just lose track of time or don't realize that a line has formed for the charger stalls.

SuperchargerQR aims to alleviate the frustration of pulling up to a Supercharger only to find all of the stalls occupied when there is at least one vehicle that has finished charging.

Print the SuperchargerQR code directly from the app and put it on your dash the next time you plug in to charge. If you are fully charged and someone new arrives and wants to use the Supercharger all they have to do is install the app and scan your QR code which will send you a message that someone is waiting for your spot. It's easy and anonymous, no need to worry about your personal information being in the hands of passers by."

Why not just leave your cell number as people have been doing? It's simpler, doesn't require the other party to install an app and know what a QR code is. Maybe it's just my age but I would rather see a cell number on the dash than something about a QR code.

Why not just leave your cell number as people have been doing? It's simpler, doesn't require the other party to install an app and know what a QR code is. Maybe it's just my age but I would rather see a cell number on the dash than something about a QR code.

A bit more privacy for one. Though I admit, this is just "cooler".

It is a good idea but how will you know when a car that is charging is fully charged?

I see it more as a way to alert owners that are charging that a) all stalls are full and b) there is at least one other car waiting to charge. Should help get people back when they had enough charge.

Perhaps the next version can have a couple stock messages that could be sent in response -- things like:
- will be back in 5/10/15/30 min (or a time?)
- respond that you are now back

Lots of replies. Let me see if I can answer all the questions:

1) Does not require generating a new code for each charger expedition. If you use the anonymous sign in and delete and re-install the app you'll have to generate a new one. If you use facebook sign in your QR code should always be good even if you uninstall and re-install.
2) Why not leave your cell number? I, personally don't like leaving a unique identifier like a phone number around, way too easy for someone to find out where I live, where I work, etc..
3) How do you know when charging is done? This, to be honest was a bit of an oversight on my part. If the car has powered down while charging you don't know. I'll be changing the messaging in the app soon to say something like "There is a line for the superchargers. Check your charge level in the Tesla app or check in on your car at your convenience." I've also considered a checkin process where if you are the owner of the QR and scan it it serves as a checkin and when someone else scans it they can see how long you've been charging and determine whether to send the message.
4) Android and WinMobile - Looking at Android, a bit more complicated to do on the QR side. WinMobile, probably not enough adoption yet.
5) Useful for other chargers? Yes, but I wanted to tackle the market I understand as an owner first. I would probably do a separate app for Level 2 type chargers since the messaging would be a little different. Like "Don't unplug me yet. Download blah blah and scan the code to let me know you're waiting". A coworker of mine actually suggested I do a version for laundromats... "Don't touch my undies, scan the code and I'll be right there to unload the washer".
6) How is there a review already? It launched mid day yesterday, not sure why Apple says it was today. But if you like it, definitely review and give it 5 stars, helps people find it easier when they search.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The app already has over 100 downloads, not too shabby for something so niche.