Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed with installing spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, maybe its a recent policy change but Fremont Service will no longer help you install an OEM spoiler if your car was not originally equipped with one. I asked two separate sources and got the same answer. They might still update your profile so it shows up on your dash but I will need to go in for service to confirm.

Having said that, I'm pretty comfortable with installing the spoiler myself. I think the steps are to wash the area, strip off the wax with clay bar or equivalent, then stick on.

Where I need a little bit of help is that I don't have access to another Model S with a spoiler so I don't know exactly where the contact points should line up. I have a general idea but wondering if some of you would be willing to post some pictures that show where the factory spoiler is applied in relation to "anchor points" such as the rear lip of the trunk or where the side creases are. Thanks much in advance!!!!!

Regarding adding the spoiler to the profile:
I called support and they indicated to me after a couple days that it could not be done. I shrugged and said "oh well", then after a day or so, I got a call from my local SC. They told me that if I was interested they would send someone out to add the spoiler to my profile. I let him know that I bought it on eBay, he said that's fine! I still insisted brining it in as I felt that the SC resources would be better spent dealing with bigger issues.
Today I had a chance to stop in, they spent 5 mins on the car! Now have a spoiler on my profile.

Moral: Call your local SC to set the profile correctly.

PS, I installed the spoiler on my own with some help of a friend making sure that I had it lined up etc.

@3pod
I just "eye balled it" Literally. Car has Opticoat and did not bother with anything other than wiping it down from any free dirt. This might be a problem later, but I'll deal with it then if it is. I can always remount it. It's not a big deal.

I installed mine a couple of weeks ago.

I washed the area and then polished with Meguair's m205 using a basic orange cutting pad (Griot's). I polished to remove some imperfections as well as an almost year old layer of Gtechniq C1/EXOv2. I then used Gtechniq Panel Wipe to remove any polish residue. After that, I measured the center of the spoiler and lined it up with the center T logo. After this, I put on the spoiler with the tape still covered. I traced around the spoiler with some green tape and make a few rubber stops so that I could lay down the spoiler. Removed the tape and the positioned the spoiler along the same outline I had just made and voila!

Looks great, but I really wish I had the glossy spoiler instead of the matte. (I know there are aftermarket glossies, but I wanted an OEM.)

It the back edge of the spoiler just a bit in front of the end of the trunk?

Yes, just slightly in front. Just installed ours (easier with four eyes) with the SC tech using SC jig and lots of blue painters tape to secure jigs and insure the jigs didn't scratch paint. Highly recommend a Spies Hecker "Panel Wipe & Silicone Remover" or BASF AM900 "Pre-Kleano". BTW, EXTREMELY stressful (for me anyway) if you want perfection.

Thanks all. I ended up using blue painters tape to line up the middle of the spoiler with the "t" on the trunk and just eyeballed the depth and straightness. So far it looks near perfect but I did it using late afternoon sunlight which might not have been the best choice. We'll see tomorrow morning!

• Helpful
Reactions: Defcon5