Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Journalist runs out of power in a rented Tesla and writes a review.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like he didn't range charge it? Said he left with 247 miles.
Why these stories are still stories is odd but understandable I guess. People who don't put any thought into it see Rated Range as the distance they can go regardless of speed or weather.

He wanted to run out. The comments under the article are spot on.

I don't think we know that. We know he didn't bother to do basic research or use a little common sense but not the level of evidence as the Broder example. The comments are accurate though.

- - - Updated - - -

So you joined tonight just to post this article?

Is that not ok? People are welcome to join for whatever reason.

Actually I did just join tonight after seeing that article. I thought it was pretty ridiculous and hadn't seen anyone post it on the TM site and this one so I thought I'd post it. But I'm getting my S85 delivered soon and thought this was a forum I should be a part of.

Was that wrong?

Congrats on your new car and of course you are welcome here. Thanks for linking the article too.

Actually I did just join tonight after seeing that article. I thought it was pretty ridiculous and hadn't seen anyone post it on the TM site and this one so I thought I'd post it. But I'm getting my S85 delivered soon and thought this was a forum I should be a part of.

Was that wrong?

Not at all, I look forward to seeing pictures of your Tesla once you get it. And yes, the article was ridiculous.

Was that wrong?

No, but sometimes people who join and immediately post something controversial have an agenda. Obviously not the case here. Don't worry about it.

AAA not being able to get a tow truck....is a little unsettling. I would hope that that is only an issue in the smaller areas that are not as familiar with a Tesla.

I had the same issue when I got stuck 3 miles from the Macedonia, OH Supercharger. I had enough range showing, but the battery warmer decided to kick in, I missed my exit as the windows were so frosted over I couldn't see it, and the car decided it was time to give up the Ghost. Both AAA, Tesla, and myself called numerous tow companies. Finally, the very nice Tesla support girl called the police to come get us as it was about 10 degrees out. The police called a tow company (one that previously said they wouldn't touch a Tesla due to liability), but since the police called them they HAD to respond. The tow truck driver gave every possible excuse not to tow the car, so their it sat overnight, police took us to a hotel for the night.

Finally, started calling more and more tow companies the next morning. Finally got one that said they would tow anything. Taxi took me to the car, still sitting on the freeway, now under a few inches of snow. She put ski's under the wheels as we couldn't get it in Tow Mode even when boosting the 12v. She took me and the car right to the Macedonia Supercharger. Left it on the flat bed while I plugged it in to make sure it worked so we wouldn't need to drag it back up on the bed again if it did not. First SC kiosk was not doing anything, car wouldn't see it. Someone else had just left another space so we knew that one was online, so she backed it in. Ring turned green, so unplugged, dropped the car on the ground and plugged er back in again. She stayed until we know the car was "doing" something. Took about 30 minutes before it started any charging, as it had to heat the pack to charging temps first. Amperage slowly climbed. Only when I saw 1 rated mile in my pack did I turn the heat on (Didn't want to do anything that might jeopardize the charging).

Anyways, I kept a list of those Tow companies that would not tow a Tesla. I even BEGGED and offered a rather nuts amount of cash to some. I left bad reviews for them, and the one that did tow me, got stunning ovation review.

Seems, most of the tow companies kept bringing up the potential of a Fire if it is improperly towed.... I corrected much mis-information, but most of them thought I was just saying that so they would tow me.
Another one was because their were no tow hooks on the car. I have one of the earlier cars off the line, apparently, now they have a Eye-Bolt that screws into the bumper.

I learned a lot from that trip. Even when you HAVE enough, it's not enough. Still can't believe the pack heater kicked in when their was so little range left. Different situation then the journalist though, especially since he was in Cali, land of EV stations.

From the article:
NATE BERG APR 29, 2014

I'd been driving as I normally would, not realizing that higher speeds and the rising elevation would drain the battery faster — that "estimated" range really is just an estimate.

jiFfM.jpg

Just saw this review from The Atlantic Cities. It's like the New York Times article all over again. Why are "journalists" jumping in rented Tesla Model S' and taking road trips without any knowledge of how it all works?
What Running Out of Power in a Tesla on the Side of a Highway Taught Me About the Road Trip of Tomorrow - Nate Berg - The Atlantic Cities

That is why he ran out of power. The car uses an alien drive train when compared to something he is used to. It is not surprising that he didn't understand how it works and how to operate it properly.