Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My balloon squeal is gone, perhaps forever. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around the time I had my 25,000 mile checkup, I had posted a question on TMC about gear slop in the drivetrain. It wasn't significantly bothering me, just wanted to make sure it was normal. My service center contacted me about it, checked it out, and as a precaution had replaced the drivetrain. Great service, but I know now that replacing the drivetrain was completely unnecessary. I've since discovered that my new drivetrain has a similar slop characteristic when switching from regen to power generation, as did a loaner--so it turns out it wasn't at all out of the ordinary. Again, not a big deal, just wanted to verify that it was normal.

Here's the interesting thing:

I used to have the balloon squeal noise at full power (S85) on my original drivetrain, even when the car was new. It would happen almost every time under full power. I've had my new drivetrain now for about 7,000 miles, and never once have heard the balloon squeal with it. Not once.

So is the balloon squeal no longer evident on newer drivetrains? Has this "issue" been fixed? Are you newer S drivers hearing the balloon squeal under full power? (Maybe P85s still hear it but S85s don't?)

Coincidentally, my car also feels slower now. It's most likely just due to the fact that I'm used to the performance now, but I sometimes wonder if my power has been dialed back? My S85 feels decently fast, but when I floor it at a light I get instant power but don't get the full kick in the pants until 2 or 3 seconds later (maybe that's normal).

Coincidentally, my car also feels slower now. It's most likely just due to the fact that I'm used to the performance now, but I sometimes wonder if my power has been dialed back? My S85 feels decently fast, but when I floor it at a light I get instant power but don't get the full kick in the pants until 2 or 3 seconds later (maybe that's normal).

I'm guessing you are used to it. I noticed the slight delay much more after using a P85 loaner.

I've learned to ease into the acceleration slightly, then punch it after about a second. That gives me the most feeling of acceleration and will have to due until I upgrade to a P85 someday.

I did not have the balloon squeal until my battery pack was replaced. At the same time, they said diagnostics did not pass on my old HV cable assembly and they had to replace it. Ever since that was replaced, the squeal is there under full acceleration.

Interesting! I can definitely hear it kick in when I floor it. I assumed it the inverter switching from star to delta configuration to achieve max power. Star config is better for start up, delta is the key to full power. But I'm totally guessing here and I don't know if it would cause the squealing sound. It doesn't bother me at all. I actually think it's cool. It's like a audible confirmation that full power is flowing, similar to a turbo spinning up.

Regarding easing into full power. I definitely noticed that. Even if you punch the pedal, you can feel and see on the power display that it's ramping up to full power. It's not instant.

What are the advantages of using star-delta connections for a three phase motor

I've had the drive assembly replaced at 13k, a couple of months ago (for the highway speed droaning sound). Now at 15k miles. Squeal has been there almost identically for both motor/inverters. Though there are different conditions when it squeals, which I'm still trying to figure out under what repeatable scenarios it can be induced.

Have they determined what causes the squeal? Is it the HV cables resonating at the contact points under load?

I still have the original drivetrain and battery (unfortunately). I had the squeal until ~20 K and since then it's been gone. I've been flooring it whenever I get the chance listening closely for the squeal, but have never had it come back. I also notice that the "full kick" does not appear until 3 or so seconds under full acceleration. I'm wondering if the squeal is related to a certain power output and my car isn't achieving the same max power. I'll run a test with Visible Tesla one of these days.