Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting FLOODED with ads with no way out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The site is almost unusable - using Chrome, when I click on topics, I get ads, ads and more ads. Maybe 1 in 5 clicks gets me to the topic I'm looking for. It was fine this morning - what happened?

The site is almost unusable - using Chrome, when I click on topics, I get ads, ads and more ads. Maybe 1 in 5 clicks gets me to the topic I'm looking for. It was fine this morning - what happened?
I use Adblock Plus on Chrome and never get any adds.
If the amount of adds that you get increased at some point in time, then most likely there is some malware which needs to be removed. Are ads on TMC only or on all sites?
Small donation to TMC by pressing Support TMC might help to block ads on the TMC site.

Last edited:
It seems to only affect this site - only in Chrome and only from home (not on the crippled version of IE at the office). I can see a quick attempt at redirecting to a site including the words "onlickads" in it's URL before it flashes on to something else. The ads are trying to get me to install drivers or codecs or Adobe-looking updates but they are clearly malware to these experienced eyes. I think I got hit with some drive-by ad malware that's targeting certain sites. I'm trying Malwarebytes for good measure as clearing the cookies didn't help but it's clear that SOMETHING got through my anti-malware suite.. The other symptom is that it affects every couple of clicks I make when I'm "middle button clicking" a topic or forum header link so as to open it in a new tab.

Last edited:
I'm having marked difficulty using the site on my iPad--about 50% of the time when I try to use the outline of the link trail (immediately above the banner ad), I end up getting the advert instead. Very frustrating. The space between these entities has shrunk to the point that the finger recognition algorithm on the iPad can't separate the two.

Last edited by a moderator: