Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which home charger is best for a Model S in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help please! I want to install a home charger for a model S under the government grant scheme. Can someone please recommend the best type/make/model for the Tesla?
The charge point will be fitted under cover in the back of a double barn style open garage.

There seems to be very little difference between the different offers under the government scheme (several of the companies on the list are selling the same equipment). Most people seem to be going with Chargemaster, partly because Tesla seem to have been working more closely with them, particularly over the issue of getting full speed charging out of single-charger cars on 1-phase power. On the other hand, I had heard that Chargemaster didn't install in Scotland; still, I would call them first and see what they say (maybe I heard incorrectly). If you have ordered dual chargers, then there is less cause to worry and any of the suppliers should be fine.

Whichever supplier you go with, obviously you want the 30A (7kW) rather than 16A (3.5kW) option, which costs £95 extra with Chargemaster and I believe similar sums elsewhere.

Supplier list here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-chargepoint-grant-accredited-list-of-chargepoints

A couple of points to bear in mind:

• If you happen to have 3-phase power on site (you mention a "barn"), then you might want to go outside the government scheme and get much faster charging using 3-phase.
  • If you choose the tethered style of charge point, you might want to get one of these to attach to the handle for ease of opening the Model S port.

Last edited:
If you have a 3-phase connection I suggest at least 16A (11kW) or maybe 32A (22kW).

Model S is also capable of charging on 40A single-phase with a single charger, or 80A with dual-chargers.

If you are looking for good charging stations:
- EV-Box (Netherlands)
- Keba (Austria)
- Mennekes (Germany)

While NOT available under the government grant scheme, you can buy the Mainpine ruggedised 22kW Charging Stations (branded Zero Carbon World) for 699 (GBP), 849 (Euro), and 7kW for 549 (GBP), 699 (Euro), with resellers in the UK and The Netherlands.

http://zerocarbonworld.org/news/zcw-shop-now-closed

The resellers also have low cost ZCW 7kW and 22kW cables, and kits for DIY Charging Stations if you have the skills and want to roll your own (see EVSE Build Day Video for more) :smile:

The EVSE Protocol Controller ("EPC") thats at the heart of the product is used in the ZCW donations, and many thousands of the third party Charging Stations supplied under the OLEV scheme. The EPC retails at 79 (GBP), 89 (Euro), and versions are available from 16A to 80A. All EPC's can be adjusted dynamically for operation down to 6A (I use mine to ensure my EV charging tracks my solar PV production).

Listed prices exclude VAT and postage.

Here's a 7kW Charging Station that I have on my desk that's on route to the National Trust in Wales. The 22kW version is identical apart from the RCBO.

Gen_3_Type_2_Socket.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin - that link you posted points to a now closed on-line store and the two other links from that link also point to closed web sites. You should probably track down a link to a page where something is actually being sold.

Kevin - that link you posted points to a now closed on-line store and the two other links from that link also point to closed web sites.
The ZCW store is closed for the reasons stated on that page. However, if you follow the New Electric link it will click you through to the EVTV Amsterdam store (here) which is currently being updated (as it says) and the nuWorld link will click you through to their online store (here). I'll ask the ZCW team to update the links to save the click throughs :smile:

Last edited:
A 32A Single Phase (7kW) Home or Workplace Charger can be supplied and installed in Northern Ireland under the existing Grant Scheme. Although this scheme is due to expire at the end of June, one of the accredited installers listed can accept 'proof of ordering' as evidence to allow an installation for vehicles like the Model-S and BMW i3 which are on long lead times. Check out https://www.ecarni.com/home-workplace-charge-point-grant. (a 22kW 32Amp 3Phase option can also be discussed)

Here's a 7kW Charging Station that I have on my desk that's on route to the National Trust in Wales. The 22kW version is identical apart from the RCBO.

View attachment 48272

If they are identical in every way, does that mean one could get a donated 7kW station and then simply upgrade the RCBO to a three phase one for 22kW? Because I've told the Castle Hotel they should get a 22kW one.

If they are identical in every way, does that mean one could get a donated 7kW station and then simply upgrade the RCBO to a three phase one for 22kW? Because I've told the Castle Hotel they should get a 22kW one.
I can't guarantee that the contactor fitted in the 7kW units will be the 4 pole version but given we will happily donate a 22kW version they should install that anyway :smile: