Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12 five minute LED Frunk Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Five minute $12 Frunk Light
This was an idea from the Nissan Leaf forum regarding the lack of illumination for the charge port

http://www.lowes.com/pd_320270-3-72245_0__?productId=3140611

(Depot sells them as well)

Work great as it is motion activated, open the frunk and you have light
The LED’s are on a swivel so you can aim them for the best light spread
I installed mine at the very back of the frunk, now I am thinking reposition the light closer to the front

The light has a magnet on the back so I just used a metal disc (from a 120 in wall electrical box) stuck to the back of the frunk using 3M high strength tape and the light stay securely attached.

IMAG0131.jpg
IMAG0130_BURST002.jpg
IMAG0133.jpg
IMAG0132.jpg
IMAG0135.jpg

All for 12 bucks and five minutes of your time.

Nice!

Beats the heck out of the $189 Teslaccessories wants for theirs.

Holy crap, Teslaccessories charges $189 for a $2 LED light? WOW that's ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

and if 6 LEDs isn't enough, how about 10? http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-30050-308-Anywhere-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B008S8X55I/ref=pd_sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R424446008ZNWH6J1GM

this one detaches easily and can be used as a flashlight too. dual purpose! I'm ordering...

lol

Ok. so it's a $5 LED strip and $5 more in wiring. my bad.

The parts are approximately $42 (I order them from Amazon), but the custom connection to the existing lights (so you do not have to solder or splice any wires), support, detailed video instruction, etc are all value added.

I personally think $189 is too much (which is why I'm just doing it myself with the instructions from Teslarati.com), but it's much more than $5 in parts.

The parts are approximately $42 (I order them from Amazon), but the custom connection to the existing lights (so you do not have to solder or splice any wires), support, detailed video instruction, etc are all value added.

I personally think $189 is too much (which is why I'm just doing it myself with the instructions from Teslarati.com), but it's much more than $5 in parts.
Their support seems poor, too. I think you need the Premium Lighting option to even use their product (there's no lights in the areas they note in their directions if you don't have it), but I don't know for sure since 2 weeks later they haven't responded to my request. Definitely skip them.

I'm exaggerating price obviously but the point is still valid.

Their support seems poor, too. I think you need the Premium Lighting option to even use their product (there's no lights in the areas they note in their directions if you don't have it), but I don't know for sure since 2 weeks later they haven't responded to my request. Definitely skip them.

they note on their website that Tesla has removed those trunk lights in recent models. (dunno why they did this, I guess because they were useless?).

That is strange. They've reply to every one of my emails within hours.

I've seen you reference teslarati.com in multiple places, but can't find these instructions when I go there. Do you have a direct link?

I agree the $189 is too expensive, but I like the non-splicing of the Tesla wiring. I'm going to try and do it myself.

I bought LED Strips from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...power-led-flexible-light-strip--nfls-x3/1465/

I think two strips at $16 is enough, because they can be cut in half.

I just need to find the proper connector to splice onto the strips so they will plug into the Tesla connector that exists in the Frunk LED and the two unused connectors in the trunk. Hoping to hit Fry's to find the right connector I need. If anyone knows of a place online that has it, that would be great.

I just don't want to cut any of the Tesla wiring, so that I can always return it to the way it was originally.