Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just saying hello! New 60 on order. Late Jun 2014 delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've been lurking on the forum for quite some time after debating for close to a year whether or not we would be getting a Model S. happy to say that the answer is YES!

we are replacing a 2011 Lexus CT200h hybrid which has been great for us, but a little small with the husband being 6-0 and my young kids growing up. we thought about another hybrid, but my heart and calculator really wanted an EV this time. we installed a near 12 kw solar system in Nov 2013 which has been producing much more than we expected (this month we will be well over -600 kwh excess), even after factoring the possibility of adding an EV in Summer 2014, and so here we are. they installed a NEMA 14-50 plug nice and clean in our garage, and that plug just screams to be used !!:rolleyes:

we will continue to keep an ICE in the family, a 2013 MBZ GL550 7 seater SUV which we love and occasionally need the seat capacity when family is visiting. we don't love the MPGs but it is a fantastic cruising SUV and beautiful and functional interior.

looking forward to getting my VIN soon and becoming an owner in June!

welcome! Don't forget to join the 60kWh group. Just click the symbol below my avatar. We are a minority here :rolleyes:

thanks VolkerP - i just joined! yes i sense the minority status and overwhelming urge of most members to go with the 85. it was a tough choice for us, but ultimately the 60 just makes more sense for our needs. i just hope i don't end up going to the "dark side" between now and when my car enters production. believe me - i have thought about it every day since i placed the order. i wish it would just go into production so i can just say oh well, too late!

your MS60 looks great - is that pearl on black? we were on the fence between pearl and solid white, but ultimately chose the pearl.

I know how you feel. I asked for opinions after placing my order for the 60 and before confirming. Several people strongly suggested I drop most of the options to get the 85 for about $5000 more, but it didn't make much sense for me with my limited driving or desire to travel long distances and the acceleration of the 60 is considerably faster than anything I've ever driven. The only change I was convinced about was removing the dual chargers. After confirming, I considered it final and haven't second-guessed my choices, even though I've been told it could be changed with a phone call. It helps to think of it as a learning experience for your next car, so you'll have a better idea what options are worth it.

....The only change I was convinced about was removing the dual chargers.....

What changed your mind on this? This is actually one thing I am considering adding in before it goes to production (if I can). I am more likely to use local charging stations in my area (Seattle) than SuperChargers and I've been told there is alot of L2 chargers with 80AMP service around here. At home I don't think it would matter, I can easily charge overnight, but for in-town road tripping, I actually thought if the network of high capacity chargers is dense enough this would be a great option to add for only 1500 bucks.

What changed your mind on this? This is actually one thing I am considering adding in before it goes to production (if I can). I am more likely to use local charging stations in my area (Seattle) than SuperChargers and I've been told there is alot of L2 chargers with 80AMP service around here. At home I don't think it would matter, I can easily charge overnight, but for in-town road tripping, I actually thought if the network of high capacity chargers is dense enough this would be a great option to add for only 1500 bucks.

If you plan on doing a lot of road-tripping (even outside of Seattle into other states), then the dual chargers would definitely come in handy and allow you to take advantage of 80A service, where available. Superchargers aren't always conveniently available/reachable. Wont be as fast as Supercharger, but better than 30A or a normal wall socket.

I never thought twice about sticking with the 60. My daily commute is 40 miles and I couldn't even recall my last road trip by car. Now, I DO find reasons to go on road trips, but even that is fun... all the planning is an adventure. So far, the extra 50 miles or so of range the 85 would have given me would not have made a bit of difference. There are no public chargers around here over 40 amps, so I skipped dual chargers. If there were higher powered chargers in FL I probably would have spent the $1500 for them.

Absolutely no regrets on my 60!

@Pilot - yes, the peer pressure around here is immense :scared:. i don't think i'll be making the leap though. we've been fortunate enough to have had some beautiful and powerful cars over the years. but as a mom of two young kids now, my desire for the extra oomph isn't there anymore. years ago i would have said, heck yeah. but now i'd rather spend money on the house. i guess i'm getting old LOL

@Jonathan - agree 100%. i work from home so my commute is 0 but i do have a client i meet with weekly or twice a week and that is 60 mi round trip. we are not road warriors at all and when we go to places like disneyland, we have preferred to take the family hauler with all our stuff, including double stroller.

@Apoclyps - agree on Vegas - when deciding between 6 hr drive and 1 hr flight, we've always picked flying! i'm glad you have been very satisfied with the MS60 after a full year! it's good to hear positive comments like that from current MS60 owners.

@GDH - thanks for the warm welcome! i saw your "items for sale" and was surprised to find that it was actually the whole car! are you going to upgrade to an 85? (beautiful car, btw!)

I never thought twice about sticking with the 60. My daily commute is 40 miles and I couldn't even recall my last road trip by car. Now, I DO find reasons to go on road trips, but even that is fun... all the planning is an adventure. So far, the extra 50 miles or so of range the 85 would have given me would not have made a bit of difference. There are no public chargers around here over 40 amps, so I skipped dual chargers. If there were higher powered chargers in FL I probably would have spent the $1500 for them.

Absolutely no regrets on my 60!

awesome! glad to hear that. everyone keeps saying, well you never know, you will want to start driving cross country and then you'll need the 85 and superchargers, etc. etc. but then i think, i don't know. we are really terrible road warriors! i don't think our family is going to change overnight just because we got a EV/Tesla. we also have had solar panels on since Nov 2013 and will be charging for free with all our excess kwh production. so the thought of stopping at anyplace other than home for a charge just seems like a lot of work compared to plugging in at home :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, had the 60 for a few months then drove a P85 a month ago....HUGE MISTAKE LOL.

FWIW, that would probably be the way we'd do it too! if you are going 85 after a 60, better go for the P or P+ !!

@Pilot - yes, the peer pressure around here is immense :scared:. i don't think i'll be making the leap though. we've been fortunate enough to have had some beautiful and powerful cars over the years. but as a mom of two young kids now, my desire for the extra oomph isn't there anymore. years ago i would have said, heck yeah. but now i'd rather spend money on the house. i guess i'm getting old LOL

@Jonathan - agree 100%. i work from home so my commute is 0 but i do have a client i meet with weekly or twice a week and that is 60 mi round trip. we are not road warriors at all and when we go to places like disneyland, we have preferred to take the family hauler with all our stuff, including double stroller.

@Apoclyps - agree on Vegas - when deciding between 6 hr drive and 1 hr flight, we've always picked flying! i'm glad you have been very satisfied with the MS60 after a full year! it's good to hear positive comments like that from current MS60 owners.

@GDH - thanks for the warm welcome! i saw your "items for sale" and was surprised to find that it was actually the whole car! are you going to upgrade to an 85? (beautiful car, btw!)

Regarding hauling the family and stuff to Disneyland, I think you'll find the cargo capacity of the Model S quite remarkable. If you have Supercharging (and that SJC comes online eventually) it will be a very easy trip. Actually it should be easy even without SpC because Disney now has Chargepoints in the Mickey garage (not free, but still cheaper than gas). I've taken our 60 as far south as Legoland (the kids love that hotel).

Last edited:
wamochi, congrats on joining the happiest group of auto enthusiasts on the planet. :smile:

I can see why you are keeping the MB, but as others have said, I think you will use it far less after some time to get confident with the Tesla. The Model S is SUCH a comfortable and smooth cruiser, everything else just feels crude after getting used to that!

Concerning life with a 60, with your usage pattern, I am sure you will be more than happy. Even though I have a P85, I have been telling friends to consider the 60 if their usage does not depend on a lot of range flexibility. For us, the 85 is essential, because we road trip very frequently, and do not want to be limited by the (incomplete and finite) supercharger network. For you, save the money to replace that MB with a Model X in a year or so. :wink:

I have had my 60 for almost a year and do not regret not getting the 85. For me the 60 is plenty fast and more than enough miles, especially considering all the superchargers being rolled out. I spent the extra money I saved on an upgraded sound system and extended warranty and service. There are many who feel they need the 85 or p85 etc , but for me I got those needs out of my system with my ICE cars. You will be happy with the 60 and if you want to travel supercharging is both fun and costs nothing. Enjoy.

i think i may be one of the very few owners without supercharging. we just thought for $500 difference to enable it later, we will just see how it goes. what is all of your opinion on the $2000/$2500 pricing? do you think it's going to up every year?

the way i see it, the "free supercharging for life" is paid for through the $2000, so if you own it 10 years and only supercharge 10x, that's a pretty penny to have paid for that feature. i can count on one hand the number of times i have driven more than 100 miles a day in the past 7-8 years, and i don't see that changing in the forseeable future. we also thought that if the MS is everything we hope it will be, we will replace the GL with an MX in a few years, and that one would certainly get the largest capacity available w/ supercharging.

i wish they would just enable supercharging on all vehicles and you either get lifetime free for $2000 or you pay-as-you-go ... that would be ideal for us!

I've had my 60 for one year and 17,000 miles and no regrets at all. I have a 40 mile r/t commute and will change my route depending on the weather and a change of scenery (the same daily drive gets way too boring and mundane for me), so my commuting mileage varies and I don't have to worry about range. I do drive around the Chicago area quite a bit and the 200 miles range in the 60 has been plenty. When I have taken a longish road trip it takes only a few minutes to pre-check on expected driving distances so I know what to expect. Superchargers are coming on board within the range of a 60 (have you seen the blog posting for SamO's cross-country trip in a 60?). Don't give in to pressure from the 85 folks, the 60 is a great car!

i think i may be one of the very few owners without supercharging. we just thought for $500 difference to enable it later, we will just see how it goes. what is all of your opinion on the $2000/$2500 pricing? do you think it's going to up every year?

the way i see it, the "free supercharging for life" is paid for through the $2000, so if you own it 10 years and only supercharge 10x, that's a pretty penny to have paid for that feature. i can count on one hand the number of times i have driven more than 100 miles a day in the past 7-8 years, and i don't see that changing in the forseeable future. we also thought that if the MS is everything we hope it will be, we will replace the GL with an MX in a few years, and that one would certainly get the largest capacity available w/ supercharging.

i wish they would just enable supercharging on all vehicles and you either get lifetime free for $2000 or you pay-as-you-go ... that would be ideal for us!
The one thing you are not factoring in is how much fun the Model S is to drive, so you will probably drive more than you are now and may want to take more trips, so as far as I'm concerned the extra money for the supercharging is worth it.