Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Trip Planner: Auto-routing through Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
We've added the ability to automatically break up a route to go through superchargers on EVTripPlanner
You can enter your endpoints and click 'Route Through Superchargers' and it will attempt to get you from point A to B going through currently open superchargers.
You can adjust the "max distance between superchargers" from the default for your car type.
We've done some testing and it seems to work well, but we really need your feedback.
Thanks,
The EVTripPlanner team
(NOTE: we haven't added European superchargers quite yet)

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
Tried registering on EVtripPlanner to try it out. Got the email sent to me to verify my email address. However, every time I click on the click to confirm the email address, I get a HTTP error 404.

Thanks for your work on this which is so valuable.

Below is the input you requested.

Suggest a summary tab with summary information of each leg of the trip. While it's nice to get the details of every turn, most would benefit from information by leg.

It also appears that there is no correlation between the origin and the distance to the first supercharger.
Example, I ran a trip from SoPas to Santa Barbara to Monterey with a between charge range of 150 miles. This trip skipped Santa Ynez and Robobank which then required the route to turn west to get to Harris Ranch.

Again thanks for this great tool.

Last edited:
This is very useful.
You can adjust the "max distance between superchargers" from the default for your car type.
I think there should be a UI / options change that says you want to stop at every supercharger. Or think of it this way I want to take a stretch break at a maximum of 1.5 hours.
For example try: Chicago, IL to Detroit, MI.
This gives me one SC stop.

You can play with "max distance between superchargers" to get this but there are some bugs there. If you try 77 it works but if you try 66, 1, or 0 it does not.

If I tried 70 then it took me on a long trip up to Saint Joseph MI.

Very cool overall. I'm just thinking if you step back and look at it from other questions/perspectives (ie. Or think of it this way I want to take a stretch break at a maximum of 1.5 hours.) you may come up with some less technical settings/options.

HTH

BTW they "Charge Here" button is very handy and can be used to help with the above. It wasn't clear if you went to various "missing from the orig directions"SC on the map and clicked the Charge Here in any order whether it would reorder your waypoints to these so you took the most direct path. Seems like this should be the default but could be an option (manually add SC w/Charge Here without auto-reorder).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you want your CSV download to include tags do you?

ie. "Keep left to continue on I-90 E, follow signs for Interstate 90 Skyway E/Indiana Toll Rd<div style="font-size:0.9em">Partial toll road</div><div style="font-size:0.9em">Entering Indiana</div>"

All,
We've added the ability to automatically break up a route to go through superchargers on EVTripPlanner
You can enter your endpoints and click 'Route Through Superchargers' and it will attempt to get you from point A to B going through currently open superchargers.
We've done some testing and it seems to work well, but we really need your feedback.
Thanks,
The EVTripPlanner team
(NOTE: we haven't added European superchargers quite yet)

I tried it out briefly just to get a feel but did not get a complete answer. Apparently the app maxes out at 10 superchargers, and the route I was considering needs 11-12.

Last edited:
Great work. I tried putting in Boulder, CO to Moab, UT. The first solution had a single stop at Glenwood Springs, CO, but skipped Grand Junction. I tried reducing the max distance to 125 miles, and was very impressed that it added Grand Junction, but not Silverthorne. I assume this was because you assumed a 100% charge at the start. That is a good assumption at the beginning of a day, but not if I am charging now.

How about having the Supercharger taper curve in your software, a buffer requirement for rated miles (I like 25%), a fixed overhead for a stop (maybe 5 minutes), and the extra time to exit the highway to the Supercharger and return. With all of this, you could decide whether or not to stop at a Supercharger based on minimizing total time. This would be way more interesting than a simple max distance.

Great work. I tried putting in Boulder, CO to Moab, UT. The first solution had a single stop at Glenwood Springs, CO, but skipped Grand Junction. I tried reducing the max distance to 125 miles, and was very impressed that it added Grand Junction, but not Silverthorne. I assume this was because you assumed a 100% charge at the start. That is a good assumption at the beginning of a day, but not if I am charging now.

How about having the Supercharger taper curve in your software, a buffer requirement for rated miles (I like 25%), a fixed overhead for a stop (maybe 5 minutes), and the extra time to exit the highway to the Supercharger and return. With all of this, you could decide whether or not to stop at a Supercharger based on minimizing total time. This would be way more interesting than a simple max distance.
You forgot to suggest to add in the current temperatures, wind and rain conditions along the road (including using forecasts along the way, prorated by expected drive time) as well as Google traffic alerts.
I mean, why stop half way, right?
:)

I used the "Route Through Superchargers" button to go from La Jolla to Los Gatos CA in my S85, but it took me way out of my way, over to the Central Coast instead of up I-5. That would take me hours out of my way. I think you have more work to do. But thanks for all your efforts.