Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

stumped: trunk won't close using the button, but will if you manually close it (????)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS currently won't close the trunk if I press the button on the liftgate or the remote control. It'll close and latch itself securely if I manually push it down, but if I use the button it closes to what appears to be "all the way" but then beeps meanly at me and re-opens the trunk. It's identical behavior to when the trunk encounters an object while trying to close, but this happens on mine even with a completely empty trunk.

I carefully checked all around the perimeter / interface between the liftgate and the main body of the car and there's nothing there that would block the "normal" closing of the trunk.

Any ideas or thoughts?

My MS currently won't close the trunk if I press the button on the liftgate or the remote control. It'll close and latch itself securely if I manually push it down, but if I use the button it closes to what appears to be "all the way" but then beeps meanly at me and re-opens the trunk. It's identical behavior to when the trunk encounters an object while trying to close, but this happens on mine even with a completely empty trunk.

I carefully checked all around the perimeter / interface between the liftgate and the main body of the car and there's nothing there that would block the "normal" closing of the trunk.

Any ideas or thoughts?
There is a small rubber bumper pad that is adjustable. When the trunk comes down it bumps up against this. I would be willing to bet it has loosened just a bit and that pad is sticking out a bit too far. That would be my guess.

I had a similar but not identical problem with the trunk button. The button itself would sometimes get stuck, and pressing on it would generate a loud beep (as if I am setting the height of the opening) but not actually close the trunk. When I got the titanium shield installed at the service center, I asked the staff to check the button. The service center replaced the button under warranty and it has been perfect since then.

Bottom line: Call your service center and have them check it out.

So to follow up, the solution was caused by one of the panels in the rear of the trunk being misaligned, and it was putting just enough pressure on the pinch detector as the trunk closed to set off the alarm. (The advice to 'just take it to the service center' was correct, of course!)