Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB charging issue with iPhone 5S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
For the hidden USB port near the parking brake (usually used for phone charging) has anyone noticed an issue with the power provided? I've found that if I am using Google Maps or playing music and keep the screen on that it drains power too quickly even though it is indeed charging (I see the charging icon present on the iPhone and if I turn the screen off it does charge slowly). I don't think I noticed that before with my older iPhone and have the 5S now.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Is anyone able to drive with Google Maps on (screen on) and not have the phone discharge slowly while plugged in? Thanks.
Dave: I know that I can't charge my iPad in my MS because the regular USB doesn't deliver enough amperage. I found an accessory for the "cigarette lighter" that delivers 2.1 amps and it charges fine now. I wonder if that might work for you. See attached.

View attachment 48004
Dave: I know that I can't charge my iPad in my MS because the regular USB doesn't deliver enough amperage. I found an accessory for the "cigarette lighter" that delivers 2.1 amps and it charges fine now. I wonder if that might work for you. See attached.
I just drove 12 hours and my iPhone 4S did not charge using a "regular" cigarette lighter adapter. I didn't realize the adapters could restrict the amperage. I'm certain that before software version 5.9 it worked fine.

- - - Updated - - -

For the hidden USB port near the parking break (usually used for phone charging) ......
Haven't seen that port. Where is it exactly ?

My car came with a cable sticking out from the base of the hand brake. There is a USB port hidden under a cover. Last time I was there I had them change it out for a 0.5m lightening cable for the iPhone 5S to connect to a dock I bought. Maybe it's a bad cable? Phone charges fine otherwise. It could be the power draw simply is too much with screen on.