Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to register???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a Roadster for three years and will never get rid of it.
We are going to get our MS this year but face a question that AZ owners may help with. We are moving to Sedona late this year or early next year. Do I buy and register in MD then transfer to AZ...... or wait and buy and register in AZ. I have an address in Sedona so thats not a problem but what charges will AZ hit me with to register there??

My Roadster had CA registration and a simple transfer cost me nothing in MD but I hear evil things about sales tax and other charges in AZ.

Any help would be great............. Thanks

In AZ you pay sales tax but registration is very cheap (about $50) compared to a similarly priced ICE vehicle (well over $1,000). If you already have the vehicle registered in another state and move to AZ, you don't pay the sales tax, only the registration.

In AZ you pay sales tax but registration is very cheap (about $50) compared to a similarly priced ICE vehicle (well over $1,000). If you already have the vehicle registered in another state and move to AZ, you don't pay the sales tax, only the registration.

Thanks for information
Guess I better calculate sales tax in each state and factor in the cross country trip needed to bring car from MD to AZ.
Might be a great drive!!!

I have had a Roadster for three years and will never get rid of it.
We are going to get our MS this year but face a question that AZ owners may help with. We are moving to Sedona late this year or early next year. Do I buy and register in MD then transfer to AZ...... or wait and buy and register in AZ. I have an address in Sedona so thats not a problem but what charges will AZ hit me with to register there??

My Roadster had CA registration and a simple transfer cost me nothing in MD but I hear evil things about sales tax and other charges in AZ.

Any help would be great............. Thanks
Registration for all EV vehicles in Arizona is quite low: about $50/year (See Alternative Fuels Data Center: Arizona Laws and Incentives for Vehicle Owner/Driver which also has a reference to the AZ statues). You don’t have to pay any tax if you are transferring your registration to AZ or are buying a used car from a private party. You may want to look at the sales tax of AZ vs MD to determine in which state to initially register your vehicle. In AZ you will need to register your new vehicle at MVD and pay state taxes on it. Later you will get a request from your city government to pay the city taxes. If your address is outside of an incorporated city, then you have no city taxes to pay.